Author Topic: Thomas Burtney, 5th Battalion  (Read 2837 times)

nicko576

Thomas Burtney, 5th Battalion
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »
Could anyone help me with this:
Pte Thomas Burtney, 3795, 5th Manchesters. I cannot find out anything about him
He is not listed in the Divisional Historys roll of honour, nor is he listed on the CWGC.
Yet he is listed on the Wigan memorial, and also i have attatched a letter sent from his wife.
any help greatly appreciated.
Nick

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Thomas Burtney, 5th Battalion
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:43:51 PM »
i've tried a couple ways to find him and nothing is coming up

i think he wasn't in service when he was killed or died but was still added to the memorial, the rules that the CWGC and SDGW don't apply to memorials

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

liverpool annie

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »

Well he is on page 10 of the War Memorial .... but I can't find him anywhere else yet I'm afraid !  :-\

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/warmemorial.php?opt=booklets

Annie  :)

nicko576

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »
Thanks for the answers.
It states on the letter, he died through serving his king and country, is there a possibility of a non com here.
I tend to agree with you Chris, that he wasnt in service but i will have to find out for definate.
Nick

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »

It states on the letter, he died through serving his king and country, is there a possibility of a non com here.

if you could find an mic or a record then maybe but without an official record, there's not much chance. not wishing to be too light hearted about it, but i've heard of a case when a very strong willed lady had her son added to a memorial, after he died in a road accident several years after the war ::)
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline foz1961

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
Hi, just came across this.
I have been doing some research on Pte 3795 Thomas Burtney and he does appear to be very ellusive, however i believe i have found his pension record.

He is shown as pte 3795 Thomas Burtanay (but the spelling is also as above on a couple of docs). He enlisted on the 5th July 1915 (He gave his age as being 39yrs). Home address 15 Lonshoot, Scholes Wigan. However this is later changed to 3 Morris Row, Scholes where he states his next of kin Jane Burtanay (sister in law) lives.

Thomas was medically discharged on the 4th September 1916 (he was suffering from phthisis) which he appears to have had prior to enlisting and may have been aggravated by his service. The documents also show that he spent all of his service in Margate. There is an entry on one of the documents from his wife asking for his back pay, from his appeal to discharge. It briefly gives her details and gives late husband then a d. 2?/10/1918 (not clear if this is date of letter or date of death. However the letter above gives date of death as 18/12/1917. I have only been able to find one other entry for him and that is his marriage to Alice Heath in July 1915 in Thanet, Kent (coincide with his time in Margate!). I have not been able to find any death record.

Hope this may be of help to someone