Author Topic: The Great War : The British Community in Argentina & the Manchester Regiment.  (Read 9352 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
                                                              2nd Lt. George Lee Evans : 21st Manchesters.

This officer was part of the British Community in Argentina and like so many others came to the UK at the beginning of the Great War to enlist, subsequently going with the battalion to France in October 1915.

The records state that he was transferred to the General List, in due time gaining the rank of Captain.  This promotion and transfer suggests that Evans' civilian occupation was one, perhaps, which the War Office would wish to use, e.g. in respect of railway operations.  PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
                              2nd Lieutenant (later Captain) Francis John Mytton Thornycroft  : Manchester Regiment.

Another volunteer from Argentina.  I note that he was awarded the Military Cross and that he left the UK for service overseas (France) on 26th October 1916.  I have been unable to ascertain in which battalion this officer served. PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
                         "Platoon Sergeant" Fred  Walters  : 19th Bn. Manchester Regiment

Can anyone help, please in tracing this volunteer from Argentina?   PhilipG.   

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
hiya Philip.
platoon/sgt 12517 Frederick walters[19th battalion]
motor mechanic
121 wembury st,moston lane,manchester
worked for the central argentine railway coy,rosario,argentina
transferred to the 155th protection coy,RDC
discharged 24-2-1919 with chronic rheumatism,aged 41

Philip,if you type in freds number[12517]in our site search engine,you will find a photo of sgt walters in our photo ID section.

mack ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:08:13 PM by mack »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Mack,

Thank you for solving the problem re this Argentina Volunteer.   With your guidance, I have found his photograph in the Regiment's "Book of Honour".  ("B" Coy. V Platoon).

I see that his Platoon Commander was Lt. W. Boyd Orr.  I wonder whether or not you have, in the past, found any connection with this officer and the Nobel Peace Prize Winner - Lord Boyd Orr?  PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
hiya Philip.
I cant see a obvious connection,Lt William boyd orr did have a older brother called john boyd orr but hes not the nobel prize winner,he lost his younger brother 2/Lt Arthur james,he was killed on 23rd april 1918 with the 24th manchesters,william boyd orr was studying medicine before the war but I don't think he continued his studies

mack ;D

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Mack,

Thank you.  Regards, PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
                                           Captain Harry Scott :  Manchester Regiment.

I wonder, please, if this officer can be traced as I have not been able to find the battalion in which he served.   He was, of course, another volunteer from Argentina.  PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
                                              Lieutenant Frederick Leach : 8th Bn. Manchester Regiment.

This officer (mentioned elsewhere on this Forum) was part of the British Community in Rosario, Argentina and one of the "Volunteers from Argentina".   After arrival in England towards the end of 1914, he joined the Honourable Artillery Company, I surmise, becoming "one of the over four thousand members of the corps who received commissions in other units", as mentioned in the HAC's Regimental History.   In Leach's case, he was subsequently commissioned into the 8th Manchesters and later transferred into the RAF, becoming an "Equipment Officer".

He died of heatstroke on the 16th June 1918 being buried in Bombay, sadly and with the passage of time, his grave cannot now be traced. PhilipG.
he arrived in argentina on 9-9-1911 on board the merchant ship amazon.he took up a position as a clerk in the traffic dept for the central argentine railway company at Rosario,sailed for England 20-11-1914 and joined the HAC

mack ;D

ps.this may be of interest to you Philip,google roll of honour 1914-1918 DIA agency

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Mack,

Thank you. PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Pte. Charles Edmond Longton : 4th Bn.Manchester Regiment.
 This man I have discovered was also one of the volunteers from Argentina.  It seems that at some time after joining the Regiment he was transferred to the RASC.  At this late stage can anything be found upon this man, please?   PhilipG.

timberman

Philip

He went overseas with the RASC on the 07/08/1915
no mention of the Manchester's on his MIC.

Below is the address on his MIC.

Timberman

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Timberman,

Thank you.  The source for the assertion that Longton was in the 4th Manchesters and then the RASC seems quite authoritative.   Perhaps the Depot found him unfit and he was "transferred to the RASC" on these grounds. It was interesting to see that he went to Chile after the Great War.   Thank you again for your help in this matter. PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
       Patrick Ward : 3rd Manchesters     

Is there any chance, please, of tracing this soldier who was another volunteer from Argentina?  The above is all the information that I have. PhilipG.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
hiya Philip.
I cant see a obvious connection,Lt William boyd orr did have a older brother called john boyd orr but hes not the nobel prize winner,he lost his younger brother 2/Lt Arthur james,he was killed on 23rd april 1918 with the 24th manchesters,william boyd orr was studying medicine before the war but I don't think he continued his studies

mack ;D
William Boyd Orr's MIC says he was awarded the MC.  Does anyone have the citation?
He was 19th Bttn posted to 17th 8/1/1917 OC B COy.
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/