Author Topic: 7th Battalion Cap Badge  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
7th Battalion Cap Badge
« on: January 27, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »
I'm sure I used to know this but exactly why did the 4th Volunteer Battalion, and later the 7th (Territorial) Battalion, have the "fleur de lys" as their cap badge while all the other battalions had, what was commonly called, the "bus conductors' badge" before the whole regiment switched to the fleur de lys?
Many thanks in advance.
Bob B

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: 7th Battalion Cap Badge
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »
Bob.
My own feeling is that this battalion, with its long Volunteer history from 1859 just did not like the idea in 1888, when it became the 4th VB Manchester Regiment, of wearing the arms of the City of Manchester, a non-military badge and one worn by workers employed by the City Corporation.  They certainly considered themselves to be a rather superior unit and no doubt it was the opinion of the then commanding officer and his officers that if they had to become a part of the recently formed (1881) Manchester Regiment, then they would select a more appropriate badge for their own use. Hence the fleur de lys.

It was not until 1923 that the restoration of the fleur de lys badge for the entire regiment was authorised by the War Office, although the 11th Battalion wore it for a period following  its formation in August 1914. Again I suspect that this  was due to the wishes of the commanding officer.
Robert

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
Re: 7th Battalion Cap Badge
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »
Bob,
Thank you very much for this.
I'm sure what you say is correct - amazing that COs have such arbitrary powers!
Thanks again.
Bob B