Author Topic: My Dads Medals  (Read 20317 times)

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
Re: My Dads Medals
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 05:26:08 PM »
The end of an era,
I regret to say that even though I have looked and thought carefully  at the photograph of your Dad I still haven't been able to call him to mind I am sorry to say. Yet he must have been in and around Wavell Barracks and also the Shcaffergrund Married Quarters region possibly as much as I was, somewhere I have one of the Souvenir Invitations given out by Roland Bardsley Homes inside of which is a full illustration of the landscaped  areas around and over of the Archway of the old Ladysmith Barracks into the care of Tameside. M.B.C. on the 24th September 1988 beautifully renovated including a portion of the old wall.
George.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:34:52 AM by george.theshed197 »

Offline artyhughes

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »
Hi George,re Nippy Gannon at Ladysmith Barracks closure ceremony,I don't think Nippy ever left the Bn on any posting,either the Manchester Regiment or The Kings and Manchester regiments,he took his discharge from N Ireland whilst seving with the regiment

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
Hi Roy,
If you see Bob's comment on the previous page you will note that he considers that it was possible that Cpl  Wood was the one doing it as Nippy was back with the Battalion at Formby, sorry old friend.
George.

NUMPTYLAD

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »
Hi all,

Seems I have been led on a wild goose chase. My Dad didn't take the flag down on the final day at Ladysmith, he took it down as the Bn were leaving to go off to Malaya.

Sorry about that, but as dates started to be mentioned it became apparent that the dates didn't tie up with where we were at the time, so the flag lowering must have been in 52/53, as my sister was born in Kuala Lumpur in Jan 54.

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »
We left Berlin April 1951 and went to Dale,(originally part if us were at Saighton) Chester, I can remember it well because part way through my home leave we received a phone call to me at home, then Partington Lane, Swinton, M/cr., when my father then answered the phone it was asking for me, I was out so  Dad took the message, it was from B Coy office and was advising me that I had to return to Camp tomorrow, the following day, for my inoculations as I was on the Advance Party with a party of the Bn. Cpls ,with OC being Capt. Moss , enroute to Singapore,leaving Southampton about end of Feb. information being 'possibly on to Hong Kong',  and will be getting extra leave as Embarkation  Leave.
On the 30th May 1951 the Bn. sailed from Liverpool on the troopship Empire Hallidale SO the Bn. Flag must have been taken down then either on the 29th or 30th May from The Guardroom  or thereabouts at The Dale Camp, Chester.
 "Arriving at Singapore in the early hours of 28th June and were played in by the Band of the Cameronians then embarked on transportation to Selerang Barracks in Changi. " - "quoted from Jungle Bashers".
OK. George.

PS. As I said in my first response - "I was confused by the dates" then  ;D ;D ;D

NUMPTYLAD

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
My brother and I were born in Ashton at Ladysmith Barracks. Youngster was born in Nov 51, I was born in Oct 50. Then had sister 1 born in Jan 53 in Kuala Lumpur. Sister 2 was born in Berlin think that was 54 then youngest brother born in BMH Rinteln in 55, before we came back to UK as Dad was demobbed after 20+yrs. We went to a transit camp in Maghull then settled in Bury.

Offline shred

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but just found this article which was published in the Eccles Journal, 1945.

NUMPTYLAD

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »
"Shred"
The photo and article brought a tear to my eye.

Many thanks for this, the original photo I have hung in pride of place in my hall. This piece, however, is new to me and I will let all my family know where to see the piece, although I have, cheekily, copied it.

On the medal side, I managed to find out, via getting Dads records, so was able to source copies of the medals, which I took to give to my big brother, who wore them with pride at the Dawn Service on Gallipoli day in Dawesville W. Australia. I was also on parade with my own "gongs"

He has already earmarked them to go to his son as he "falls out"

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
Well at last the old brain-box has just kicked in - Lackri Woods never "cottened" on before - of course "Lackri"! I kept trying to think and eventually after all of these years; Nippy Gannon was the final connection. At last I have re-cognised him and all thanks to The Forum - yes indeed a right pair of characters - Lackri and Nippy - the final piece of the puzzle fis in after all these years.
Take care and may both of them Rest In Peace.
George.

Online charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »
As it was the question you posed in your original post, can I ask which medals he was entitled to.

Thanks
Charlie

NUMPTYLAD

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2016, 08:58:32 PM »
He had the GSM for Palestine, pre war and Malaya. The Defence Medal. The 1939/45 Star, Pacific Star and War Medal. May have made a mistake on some, but will try to attach a photo of Medals attached to big Bro at the service in Dawesville. The second handsome chap with medals is me.

NUMPTYLAD

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2016, 09:08:25 PM »
Had heard Dad mentioned as Lackri, but never thought of it at all for years till Sunday when having a chat with the Boss. As her Dad had been in the Pioneer Corps. Was trying to find out if her Dad had a nickname and Lackri came flooding back. Will have to figure out how to attach a photo so that the site can see what medals he was entitled to being worn by big Bro in Australia.

He remembered Nippy Gannon and told me a tale of Dad & Nippy being in London on a parade at about the time of the Coronation representing the Manchesters.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:09:38 PM by rafboy »

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »
Yes indeed - They must have been part of the Colour Guard sent home for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 11 on tge 3rd June 1953 along with C/Sgt. H. Bellis, have tried to remember the Officers but without any success. They must have trained for that at Ladysmith Barracks sometime in May
I came home on Compassionate Leave on the QUANTAS Constellation Coronation from Singapore on the 1st June and landed at Heathrow about 1500 hrs then after Googe Street Transit Camp to change out of Mufti into B.D. began my epic transit to Manchester courtesy H.M. Constabulary right to 52 Partington Lane where we lived at that time.
Very many moons ago,
Cheers and take care.
George.

timberman

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
Close up of the medals :)

Timberman

NUMPTYLAD

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »
Thanks for the detail, will make sure big Bro gets this info, as well as the remainder of the Wood tribe.