Author Topic: Albert Morris  (Read 6548 times)

tisgrannie

Albert Morris
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:05:29 PM »
I am looking for info on my friends grandfather I know he was from salford. He was married to a Beatrice and they had 3 children. Can I ask if anyone has more info on this Albert please.

MORRIS, ALBERT
Initials: A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment
Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.
Date of Death: 04/06/1915
Service No: 1874
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 158 to 170.
Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

regards tisgrannie

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Albert Morris
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:16:48 PM »

born Ancoats

resided Salford

;)
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

tisgrannie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:36:12 PM »
Thanks harribobs,
tisgrannie

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:37:14 PM »
albert lived at 79 lord duncan st,salford.

mack ;D

tisgrannie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 11:21:52 PM »
Terrific chaps. Any family listed please. I know he had 3 children the youngest was born in 1913. He was Ted could have been Wm Edward. he was my friends dad. Albert apparantly family were told he had his head blown off. Would they have really told you that kind of thing?
thanks so much.
tisgrannie

tisgrannie

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 11:23:47 PM »
Just thinking mack, would he be on the AVL's for Salford?
tis

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 01:08:58 AM »
Just thinking mack, would he be on the AVL's for Salford?
tis
hiya tis.
no he wont be in the AVLs,he was killed 2 years before they were compiled.
i found him in the casualty lists in 1915,it just gave his army details and home address.
he has no personal details on the CWGC site.
someone would have written to his wife,but i doubt if they would have told her he had his head blown off,they would probably just say he died doing his duty or something along those lines.
mack

Tony1/612742

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 07:40:22 AM »
He was a hero of the Krithia Bayonet charge. He may of been hit in the head by MG fire. I have not seen any graphic descriptions of how men died getting back to relatives and seriously think it was notwritten but could be wrong. It was probably recounted in the Pub by returning survivors and leaked by gossip to relatives. How sad and touching. Tony

tisgrannie

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 09:58:29 AM »
Thank you so much for that Tony also mack. I was surprised at my friend volunteering the info. That must have been what they heard growing up.
Tony where did you get the Krithia info from it would be nice to find it and pass on to his granddaighter.
thank you
tisgrannie

Tony1/612742

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 06:59:03 AM »
On the morning of 4th June 1915, the 127th Manchester Brigade, the 1/7th Manchesters along with the 1/5th, 1/6th and 1/8th attacked the Turkish positions just south of the village of Krithia on the Dardenelles peninsula (or Gallipoli). The attack was remembered as of the Third Battle of Krithia where the 127th Brigade played a glorious part. The French and other units of the 42nd British Division also took part but the Manchesters reached their objective of taking three lines of trenches with the bayonet. The Manchesters were experts with the bayonet as they were Territorials and well trained and the Turks were out classed. Albert's number suggests he was a territorial for a year or so before the war broke out. The supporting actions of the the other units on the flanks of the 127th Bge failed miserably and the Manchesters found themselves marooned and surrounded on three sides by the enemy after a heroic advance. Many VC's should have been awarded that day(Hamilton's words not mine) to our ancestors as it was a magnificent charge and hold. Albeit, at great cost as we lost over half of our strength (and many men were left on the Turkish ground and are listed at Helles with no grave),and amongst the confusion many brave deeds were not reported. Not like the LF's when they landed (but more than deserved). The 127th had to withdraw because they had no support and were holding out to large numbers of fresh Turkish units. Just Google Third Battle of Krithia and read all about it. Thanks Tony

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 07:34:52 AM »
or just look in the battalion histories on the main site........... ;)

7th battalion

"On the 4th June they advanced under a full moon and dug in in front of the turkish trenches. At 8.00 am the bombandment started and at 11.30 the battalion attacked the trenches in front of them. A & C coys took the first trench, B & D passed through them and took the next trench.At this point the battalion came under heavy fire from the right flank and rear causing many casualties. All day long the troops held the trench against turkish counter attacks with help from other Manchesters and LFs. The men were forced to abandon the forward position as the enfilading fire cut their numbers and no reinforcements arrived, the withdrawal proved to be more costly than the advance and the battalion lost many men. The suvivors were rested on Imbros for a few days and then returned to the penninsula."
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

tisgrannie

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 02:14:07 AM »
Thank you so much Tony and harribob! I have to admit that I forget we have the details on the main site. Sorry about that!
I get in the forum and my mind goes, as you have seen on numerous occassions ???
regards
tisgrannie