Author Topic: Lt.Col.F.C.Aldous Manchester Regt. & M.G.C.  (Read 4812 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: Lt.Col.F.C.Aldous Manchester Regt. & M.G.C.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 09:53:36 AM »
Mack,

Your Post No.8. re "a different Fred Aldous".  Do you happen to know, please, into which regiment the fusilier was commissioned?    It seems a truly amazing coincidence that both "Freds" were in the MGC.  Thanks again. Philip.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 10:25:50 AM »
After some "digging", I am beginning to think that the photograph of the officer on the Aldous Company web site could be that of our Lt.Col.F.C.Aldous of the 6th Mcrs. & MGC and perhaps, not that of "Fred ll Aldous", hence my post addressed to Mack.   Does anyone have any ideas on this theory?   PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
Continuing to "dig", in respect of this interesting research, I have come up with the following:

M.I.C.for Fred Aldous:

Pte. R.Fusiliers No. PS 7575

Commissioned 4.9.16
The card is annotated  "See F.Aldens Identicals."

Turning to the M.I.C. for F.Aldens:

L/Cpl. 19 R.Fusiliers No.7575

Commissioned MGC 4.9.16

Theatre of War France     

From the foregoing it could now be the case that there actually were two F.Aldous' in the MGC but who was F.Aldens and did he even exist? Quite fascinating.   Suggestions wanted in this intriguing matter, please.  PhilipG.

timberman

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 11:26:50 PM »
F C Aldous joined the 6th Bn 12 Dec 1912.
was attached to the MGC from 15 May 1915

Does not go off the 6th Bn list until after 1917

Maj F C Aldous
(Manch R.,T.F.)
to be .actg.
Lt.-Col. while comdg.
a Bn.
29 Aug. 1918
Timberman

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »
Timberman,

Thanks for this further contribution.  I have certainly enjoyed my "digging" in connection with this post and I am intrigued that the answer should lie in the contents of a MIC relating to a Private F.Aldens of the 19th R.Fus. Fascinating. Take care. Philip.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »
F C Aldous joined the 6th Bn 12 Dec 1912.
was attached to the MGC from 15 May 1915

Does not go off the 6th Bn list until after 1917

Maj F C Aldous
(Manch R.,T.F.)
to be .actg.
Lt.-Col. while comdg.
a Bn.
29 Aug. 1918
Timberman

hiya neil
aldous signed up private thomas,vivian northcote on 27th march 1911,he was a 2/Lt at the time.

mack ;D

timberman

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »
Thanks Mack
I was going by the army list, would he of been with another
Bn in 1911? I'll have a look only looked at the 6th Bn list

Philip

Is it possible that F Aldous joined as F Alden using an Alias.
Then when he got his commission had to revert to his real name.
His younger brother did serve on the board of trade in London
for the duration so maybe they wanted him to.
It may be possible to ask the family through their firm.

Timberman

Really strange very few Aldous but two with the same name
end up as Officers in the MGC. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:41:03 PM by timberman »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 02:49:39 AM »
hiya neil
aldous was with the 6th manchesters,colour/sgt 44 f.hay witnessed the signing of pte northcote

mack ;D

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »
There is an excellent group photograph of the officers of the 6th Bn in Great Gable to Gallipoli. Taken in Alexandria on 26 December 1914.  Lieutenant F C Aldous is on the back row, standing next to Captain Edgar Kessler.

Others on the photo are names to conjure wtih: Quartermaster Wynne, Hugh Pilkington, Claude Worthington, Noel Lee, Philip Holberton, Richard Killick, Joseph Holt, the Blatherwick brothers & Gerald Heywood.
Robert

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »
Perhaps I should summarise (as I see it) what I believe has emerged from my original enquiry:-

F.C.Aldous of the 6th Bn. Manchester Regiment was a member of that battalion in 1912.   In due course as a commissioned officer he was with the battalion in Egypt and Gallipoli where he was wounded.  Eventually he joined the Machine Gun Corps (MGC) in which unit he achieved the acting rank of Lt.Colonel and further military honours.  Whether or not this gallant officer had any connection with the Aldous Company - domiciled in Manchester - is not clear.  The prospect of such a connection emerged, insofar as the Company's web site referred to a Fred Aldous who was listed on that site as "Fred ll".   An accompanying photograph was of an officer wearing the insignia of the MGC which led to further research on the basis that it seemed unlikely that there could be two Fred Aldous' commissioned in the MGC.

In this connection, a difficulty arose in seeking official proof of the name of the regiment into which "Fred ll" had been commissioned, not helped by the fact that the MIC relating to "Fred ll", whilst giving advice that he was commissioned on 4.9.16 made no mention of the unit into which he was gazetted.

Further research gave rise to the production of another MIC with almost identical details upon it as mentioned in the previous paragraph, but this card was in the name of L/Cpl. F.Aldens.   Pleasingly, it recorded that this NCO was serving in the 19th Royal Fusiliers and that he was also commissioned on 4.9.16 and in the Machine Gun Corps.  Thus, unlikely as it originally seemed, there were, in actual fact, two officers named Fred Aldous in the MGC.

As to the reason there were two MIC's for the same man, I can only assume that bad handwriting resulted in Aldous being read as Aldens.   This account of confusion has not been fully solved, for I see from the Aldens' card that he was issued with the 1915 Star.  In whose name, I wonder?   PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »
Robert,

With reference to the "Great Gable photograph" and an attempt to make by way of identification a comparison of the photographs of the two Aldous officers (F.C.& Fred), I have an inherent difficulty in carrying out such a task, in fact, such is my lack of skill in such an enterprise, that I am unable even to identify a relative in one of the platoon photographs in the Book of Honour!    I must let the matter rest there.

One thing about the photograph did impact on me and that was the number of officers who are in the photograph and who fell in the Battle of 3rd Krithia on the 4th June 1915,when the attack went so well initially, only to wither away later with heavy casualties.  I make the total to be 8 and have included Brig.Gen. Lee as he was mortally wounded on that date, dying of course of his wounds in Malta later that month.

Captain Edgar Kessler, Captain Hugh B. Pilkington, Captain Joseph Holt, Captain A.C.Brooke-Taylor, 2nd. Lt. A.J.I.Donald, Captain S.F.Jackson, Captain R.Edgar, and Brigadier General N.Lee.

Regards, Philip.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
The death of Brigadier-General Noel Lee mentioned above, reminded me of the myth that was in circulation in the 1990's when it was alleged that British Generals, for personal safety reasons, kept well away from the front.  In actual fact over 200 British Generals were killed or wounded in the Great War.

My research reveals that Gallipoli, in addition to Noel Lee, claimed the lives of the following Brigadier-Generals:

The Earl of Longford, A.H.Baldwin, H.E.Napier, W.Scott-Moncrieff & P.A.Kenna V.C., D.S.O.

Two on my list have no known grave and their names (Napier & Baldwin) are engraved on the panels of the Helles Memorial.

PhilipG.