Author Topic: Pte Harald Fridjtof Moe - 19th Battalion (KIA 23.7.16)  (Read 8692 times)

yelenots

Pte Harald Fridjtof Moe - 19th Battalion (KIA 23.7.16)
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »
Hello, I'm new on here so not sure I'm I'm posting this thread in the right place but hope someone can help!

I have recently found my relative on Ancestry and have all his Army WW1 Service Records etc from Ancestry as he was killed in action on the 23rd July 1916 at The Somme. I have visited a grave in Manchester where there is a memorial for him.

I am trying to find out any further information about him (or even a photo!) His Mother was Brtiish and married Peter Johan Moe.  They emigated to Texas where Harald was born. His father was killed in an accident when he was 1yrs old and Mother & son moved back to the North West.

Would Harald have had to produce a birth certificate when he signed up? And if so would there still be a copy of it held anywhere?

His name may of been spelt 'Harold' but on official documents/memorial it is 'Harald'

I have found a article on here with an address for him but would love to find out more!

Thank you  :)

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
Re: Pte Harald Fridjtof Moe - 19th Battalion (KIA 23.7.16)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
Hi

Welcome to the site

Here are the pages from the British War & Victory Medal roll and the 1915 Star roll.

Roy

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »
Hi (again) Yelenots,

Please have a look at http://www.themanchesters.org/The1stjultglatz-1-1.htm which suggests Harald will have gone missing at Guillemont, where 600 men were killed, wounded or missing. Many men from other Manchester Battalions were also lost there.  Also see Mack's post about his bombing accident. http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=3357.0

If you have a photo of Harald's Memorial, please send it to Tonyrod for the collection.  Birth Certs. weren't usually considered at enlistment, which is how some underage recruits joined up.

A database suggest there is a photo of Harold in M.E.N. of 18/9/16.

Good luck

Tim
Edit for photo
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:42:26 PM by Tim Bell »
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

yelenots

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
Thank you Roy  :)   

Hi Tim!  Thank you for the links, its great to find out more about him!  This will probably seem a draft question but how do I send a photo to Tonyrod? I'm not finding this website very easy to navigate and I cant find the photo!

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
his mother,emily,susan moe worked at the deaf+dumb school on chester rd,old Trafford,harold spent some time in the crossley+porter home and school orphanage at saville park,halifax,emily and Harold arrived in England[Liverpool]in june 1898 on the SS umbria
Emily never remarried,she went to live at 130 duke st,southport,but died at 74 wigan rd,ormskirk on xmas eve 1945

mack ;D

yelenots

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »
Thank you!   :)

Offline Atherton

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
Manchester Evening News - Monday 11 September 1916
Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

yelenots

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
Thank you Atherton.......all very sad

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »
hi,: yelenots, the photo you are looking for is from the MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS PAPER, as seen in Atherton's post but this does not show a photo of the soldier , in most other's it does, I hope this helps you understand , and welcome to the forum, you will soon get used to finding your way around and adding photo's, tonyrod

yelenots

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »
What a shame there's no photo - Thank you anyway!

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 07:23:49 AM »
 yelenots,    read up on his battalion the 19th  on the main site and copy the attachment, HAROLD on SDGW, enjoy tony

http://www.themanchesters.org/The%2019th%20bn%20part%201.htm

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:31:47 AM by Wendi »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 09:09:05 AM »
Hi Pauline and a Warm welcome tothe forum.

My hunch is it is unlightly that he had a birth certificate. San Antonia started issuing them in 1897, however they were not compulsory in Texas until 1903.

This link might help http://www.sanantonio.gov/clerk/vitalstatistics/ however it occurs to me that you hardy need a certificate as you are in possession of all the info it could give you, apart maybe from the day!

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

yelenots

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
Thank you Tony!

Hi Wendi,
In the first instance I was just interested in getting a copy of the birth certificate as I wanted to find out more about his father and where he was born as I seem to have come to halt with it!  Can't find out whether he came from the US, Norway or Sweden!  But now I've started finding out more about Harald I'm addicted!  :)

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 05:11:42 PM »
Oh dear! Some of us do find it very adictive  ;D

For more on his father have you tried  the USA cencus records?or their marriage certificate, which should give you both Emily & Peter's fathers names?

If it were me I'd spend my money on the marriage certificate  ;)

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

yelenots

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »
Hi Wendi ..... I've tried the US Census's and the District Court, Bexar....nothing!  I have their marriage certificate and it just says his residence at the time of marriage was South Dakota.  To make it more complicated both Harald's father and grandfather have the same name!  I can't read the names of the witnesses, one of them is a 'Moe' but its not legible!

Just hoping now that someone can help me find a photo of Harald  :)