Author Topic: Maj. John Dobson - 1st and 2nd Battalions 1944 - 46  (Read 3385 times)

MFW

Maj. John Dobson - 1st and 2nd Battalions 1944 - 46
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:14:12 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently conducting some research into the wartime experiences of my late grandfather - Major John Dobson - and wonder if any users may be able to help.

He was initially commissioned into the Cheshire Regiment but was attached to the 1st Battalion, Manchester Regiment in January 1944. He went on to serve in N W Europe until being wounded in September. After convalescence he was posted to 24 Machine Gun Training Centre at the Dale, Chester before being shipped out to India to serve with the 2nd Battalion in 1946.   

I have his service records and have researched further at the Tameside archives (including the Manchester Regiment Gazette) and in a history by A.C. Bell, so I have a fair idea of what he did and where he went etc. but what I don't have is any personal accounts (aside from family recollections) - is there anything obvious I am missing? Would anyone in the forum be able to put me in contact with any servicemen from the period to help further my understanding?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
Re: Maj. John Dobson - 1st and 2nd Battalions 1944 - 46
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
Hi MFW

And welcome to the site.

Have you  had a read of the 1st Bn War Diary for 1944 ?

Cheers Roy

MFW

Re: Maj. John Dobson - 1st and 2nd Battalions 1944 - 46
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
Hi Roy,
Yes, I've seen the war diaries, which had a couple of references (I guess that's the benefit of researching an officer). I think I've probably found about as much as I can, but just wondered if the experts on here had any further ideas.

Cheers