Author Topic: Basra War Memorial  (Read 6828 times)

sphinx

Basra War Memorial
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »
I recall that we had a member who had good photos of the Memorial Wall Panels at Basra for WW1.

I am seeking a photo of the panel with the name John Phillips on.
He was the first soldier of the 1st Bn. Manchester Regiment KIA on 19.1.1916.

Anyone help?

regards

Offline regi-mental

• NOT ABOUT HEROES
Re: Basra War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 11:02:24 PM »

Sphinx,

I had the oppurtunity to go to Basra Cemetary in 2003 following the end of the war, ( I was part of the Queen's Lancashire Battle Group on Op TELIC 2 then) I never took it up...........FOOL ME!!

I was both saddened and glad that following acts of vandalisilm by some, that the place was put back to it's former condition by the hard work of soldiers from 19 Mech Bde (Queen's Lancashires and Kings). I wouldn't like to comment on the state of the place now!

I know this doesn't help you out but I can say that the final resting place for these British soldiers is as good as any I have seen thus far....they lay and rest together as they fought together!!!

Andy

"What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
   Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
       Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
           Can patter out their hasty orisons."

Anthem for Doomed Youth     Wilfred Owen

tisgrannie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:32:31 PM »
i saw that the soldiers out there were gathering wrecked graves stones and such like, to keep for fixing at a later date. I did see film footage not quite sure where though. I do believe there is a mention on CWGC.
I actually commented on occassions on my local grave photo shoots. That some of the Cemeteries around Oldham are probably in a worse state.
I find it so tragic that people desecrate graves or even worse neglect them. I think that young offenders should be given the task. But no doubt the HSE would be concerned they may hurt themselves whilst doing it! Aaaaaawwww.
tisgrannie

tisgrannie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article1170999.ece
a link to a good article.

from CWGC
The Basra Memorial commemorates more than 40,500 members of the Commonwealth forces who died in the operations in Mesopotamia from the Autumn of 1914 to the end of August 1921 and whose graves are not known.

This is an article I just found on the CWGC. Goodness me. The probation service are involved in clearing the Cemeteries. There is an actual photo of young men in Salford Cemetery clearing out around the graves. Bravo to the person behind this Project.

Raising the Standard: War Graves in the UK.

If you log onto www.cwgc.org you will find lots of info there.
regards
tisgrannie