Author Topic: 11th batt arrival in France and dispersal 1916  (Read 5538 times)

Devil Wood

11th batt arrival in France and dispersal 1916
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:09:38 AM »
Anyone have details regarding dispersment of 11th batt when it hit France in 1916.
Have Martin Hoath 4937 KIA 29TH August 1916 with the 21st batt. He enlistted in the 11th batt in August 1914. Served at the Suvla Bay and was in Egypt in June.
Am I right in thinking the batt was bandicooted to provide replacements for casualties on the Somme?

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: 11th batt arrival in France and dispersal 1916
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:04:08 AM »
hi devils wood

and welcome to the group

re the 11th, i think we have a very good battalion history available, it's on the main site here

http://themanchesters.org/11th%20batt.htm

On July 11th, the battalion left Marseilles, bound (after various route marches and stops) for the trenches at Wailly in the Arras sector. July 20th 1916 saw them have their first taste of life on the Western Front when they relieved the 7/Liverpool's in the front-line. During this first day at the front, the battalion suffered four casualties in "S" Company due to rifle grenades. However, British artillery was called in and they duly silenced the menace. For several days, both sides were active with sniping and grenades and patrols were sent out at night to examine the enemy saps and/or strengthen the barbed wire defences. This first tour ended on 29th July when the battalion was sent to billets in Bretencourt, engaging in fatigues and Lewis Gun training.

not sure what you mean by bandicooted  ;D, but was it that the battalion broked up to feed other units? no, they were back in the front line by the 8th august 1916

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Devil Wood

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:40:43 AM »
Thanks for the information, in the batt history it seems it was mainly engaged in training until September. What I am seeking is an explanation as to how my man was with the 21st when he was lost, like lots of others presumed dead.
A bandicoot is a small animal in australia which can live near your potato patch and carefully remove all your tubers without leaving any evidence on the surface.
its a general saying we use, something like rob Peter to pay Paul.
And thanks for the welcome. Have had a jolly good time so-far.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:36:27 AM »
sneaky little rascals then bandicoots!

it's difficult to say what happened without looking at the individuals records and, as you may know, most were lost during the blitz in WW2

battalions were not stripped of fighting men as a matter of course, as they had to maintain their own strength especially as they were in front line already, in my experience men were often transferred from battalion to battalion (or regiment to regiment) after wounds, sickness or injury

cheers
chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »
forgive my rambling.
but martin could have been in the army before ww1,possibly a reservist,he may be a boer war veteran.
was his mother called elizabeth, widowed at an early age.
i have a martin hoath,born athlone,ireland,possibly living at 5 buttons yard,hampshire as an infant[father deceased].
wife.mary,elizabeth
41 princess st,bradford,manchester.

mack

Devil Wood

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:59:22 PM »
Hello Mack
You have my Martin his dad was in the 95th and discharged 1879 and died.
Elizabeth married Patrick Eurell of the 59th who had just returned from Afghanistan in 1881 after 22 years in the sub continent.. They all lived together in the 1901 census at Philips Park Rd, Bradford, Manchester. At this time my Martin was working at Johnsons Wire Works.
I have a letter sent home from Egypt it said he was in Q Company.
Do you think it would be prudent to have another go at trying to obtain his records which were in the burnt section?

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:38:35 PM »
i found martin in the johnsons wireworks roll of honour.

mack

Devil Wood

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 02:45:57 AM »
Mack
Johnsons Wire Works Roll of Honour, very interesting.
Can I access it?