Author Topic: Transfers of Manchester Regiment Officers to RFC/RAF  (Read 141303 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: Transfers of Manchester Regiment Officers to RFC/RAF
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
Charlie,

Knowing the proximity of the Army camps in Aldershot to Farnborough, I would not think the RFC ladies would want for companionship.  The equivalent in my day would be that the ladies concerned would be RAF "Waafs".    PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2015, 10:57:18 AM »
          2nd Lt. (later Air Vice-Marshal) William Boston Cushion : 22nd Bn. Manchester Regt., RFC & RAF.

A photograph of this distinguished officer can be seen in the "Book of Honour" of the Manchester City Battalions where he is sitting with No. lX Platoon of the above battalion's "C" Coy.

Lieutenant Cushion was commissioned into the Regiment on the 3rd December 1914, subsequently proceeding on active service in France in November 1915, but leaving the battalion in January 1916 to join the Royal Flying Corps.  In this connection, I have been unable to establish whether or not he thereafter undertook aircrew duties and, if so, with which squadron.  I notice, however, that later in his military career and then holding the rank of Acting Major, he was carrying out duties with No. 5 (Res) Distribution Park, RAF.

At the end of hostilities he took a permanent commission with the Royal Air Force, progressing through the commissioned ranks of that Service until achieving the rank of Air Commodore in 1940 and becoming Director - General of Equipment.

Upon retirement he joined British Overseas Airways Corporation in an executive capacity.   I notice that in his career he received a number of Honours and I name two :  KBE & CB.

PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2015, 07:13:49 PM »
2/Lt Cushion

Philip
He would appear to have only served as an Equipment Officer. On 24.03.1916 he is recorded as being on the strength of the Reserve Aircraft Park based in south Farnborough. On 13.04.1916 he was appointed as an AEO (Acting Equipment Officer?), on 05.12.1916 he was appointed to be an EO2. In June 1917 he was posted to 4 Balloon Wing HQ as an EO3 and appointed as an EO1 in July 1917. He was further posted as an EO1 to 4 Bde HQ in September 1917 and in March 1918 to 2 Bde HQ.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »
Charlie,

Thank you.  I wonder if he later got his "wings"? PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2015, 04:56:23 PM »
Philip,
It would appear he didn't get his wings:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205218698

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »
Charlie,

Thank you again.  I note that to add to his KBE, and CB, he has also been awarded a Mention in Despatches.

(The photograph of the Malta matelots in 1942 you also sent, took me back to my youth, particularly to the "Three-Badge Able Seaman" with his Good Conduct Badges on his uniform's left sleeve, indicating a rating whose seamanship etc. was highly regarded.  Jokers on the Mess Deck were heard to mislead me that such awards were "for 21 years of undetected crime in the RN."  Absolutely wrong! ).

PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: October 02, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »
                                 Captain Herbert Rees Jones  :  Manchester Regt., RFC & RAF

In May 1918 the Germans introduced their formidable fighting aircraft - the Fokker DVll - into battle and it would seem possible that Captain Rees
Jones and his Observer, 2nd Lt. Bruce-Norton, flying in a F2b aircraft of No. 62 RAF Squadron were victims of this type of enemy machine.

They had left their base at 9.55 a.m. on the 3rd May 1918 flying in aircraft No. C4709 on an Offensive Patrol, thereafter joining in combat with an enemy force.  In the ensuing battle, this resulted in the controls of the F2b being shot away and with their machine badly damaged, they were forced to land.  Both Jones and his Observer were unharmed.

Not unexpectedly, in view of the number of flying personnel with the name of Jones, research in this officer's case has not been easy.  The records indicate that he left for service overseas in October 1915, serving with the 15th battalion Manchester Regiment.  However, this battalion was never formed!  Similarly, I have not been able to locate on a map the location of Fontaine - les - Boubins, a place which I presume was the area in which the air battle took place.   PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »
Capt HR Jones

Philip,
I have found Capt Jones as being late 13th Bn, his posting overseas would then tie into the 13th's move to Salonika. He is also recorded as being under instruction on 27 (Reserve) Sqn at Abbassia on 29.04.1917 and being appointed to the FO Branch on 07.08.1917.

Could Fontaine les Boubins be a mis-transcription of Fontaine les Boulans (32 miles NW of Arras at the junction of the D93 & 94)?

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: October 03, 2015, 12:28:03 PM »
Charlie,
 Re Capt. Herbert Rees Jones.

Thank you.  As regards the "Abbassia Jones", I came across him too, but as I could not confirm that his middle name was "Rees", I followed the maxim "when in doubt leave it out".  However, I accept you could be absolutely correct.

I wonder, please, if in fact "Boubins" is a mistake for Boulans"?   On the map "Boulans" (NW of Arras), seems a fair distance from the battlefield. Secondly, two squadron aircraft were airborne at the same time on OP, the second F2b being shot down over Armentieres by JG1.  It's all a mystery.  Thanks again. PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: October 03, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »

I wonder, please, if in fact "Boubins" is a mistake for Boulans"?   On the map "Boulans" (NW of Arras), seems a fair distance from the battlefield. Secondly, two squadron aircraft were airborne at the same time on OP, the second F2b being shot down over Armentieres by JG1.  It's all a mystery.  Thanks again. PhilipG.

Philip,
After searching for Boubins also without success and the closest match being Boulans the only thing I could think of was a mistake in the original transcription particularly if the report was orginally hand written. If my reasoning is correct the "belly" of the a in Boulans could have been mistaken for the "belly" of the b, leaving the upright of the a to look like an i.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: October 03, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »
Charlie,

A good point.Cheers, PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2015, 11:57:10 AM »
        2nd Lt. (later Major) Vaudrey Adolph Albrecht OBE, MC,.  : 2nd Bn. Manchester Regt. & RFC

This officer was commissioned into the Regiment in 1912 and subsequently promoted Lieutenant in April 1914 and it was in this rank that at the commencement of hostilities he and his battalion joined the British Expeditionary Force overseas.

During the retreat from Mons in 1914, Lieutenant Albrecht was wounded at the Battle of Le Cateau.   After recovery from his wounds, he re-joined his battalion on the 4th January 1915, by which time the battalion was in Dranoutre, south of Ypres.   The battalion was in action in the Hill 60 area in April 1915 and it was in the following month that he was wounded once again.

No doubt, then having recovered from his wounds, he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps, for on the 7th September 1915 the records state that he had qualified as a pilot having received training at the Military School in Birmingham.  I note that he was promoted to the rank of Captain the following month and in due course reached the rank of Major.

In regard to his later service with the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force, I have been unable to discover detail regarding the squadron etc. in which he served, although in respect of the post war award of his medals there is a strong indication of some service in India and the NW Frontier.  Perhaps, Great War medal enthusiasts may be able to help in this matter.

Examples:-

India GS, Afghan, NW Frontier Force,  (Clasps & Roses).
British War Medal & Victory Medal. (By Air Ministry).

PhilipG.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2015, 05:12:59 PM »
Vaudrey Albrecht was Mentioned in Despatches as Lt LG 1/1/1916 Pg 51 as Captain LG 1/12/1916 Pg 11803. Another MiD date unkown. Photo on Ancestry. Retired 1926.  Pupil Rossall School. https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5171967
Born Worseley13/4/1888. I saw an interesting German name, but find he had Mancunian grandparents.  His father was a surgeon.  3/3/1924 111 Sqn Duxford inj [E6617 Sopwith Snipe] Collided with Avro H3071 when about to land. PO JG Peck Killed. Traveled to S Africa, Barbados, Jamaica and Brazil 1924 onwards.  Flying Officer in RAF LG 22/8/1941. Death 7/9/1944.
It seems Norman Vaudrey of 17th Bttn (KiA 1/7/1916) was his cousin http://buxtonwarmemorials.mrallsophistory.com/vaudrey_n.html
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

timberman

« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2015, 07:33:29 PM »
A bit confused (not hard to do) :)

On the Buxton war memorial it says that Adolphe Albrecht Vaudrey
is Norman Vaudrey cousin, every where else it gives his name as
Vaudrey Adolph Albrecht
Unable to check my data base at the moment.

07/08/1915    23/05/1916    Lt, Capt    Vaudrey Adolph    Albrecht    5 Reserve Aeroplane Squadron, 5 Reserve Squadron

Timberman

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
The source data of the 1911 Census shows 22 year old Vaudrey Adolphe Albrecht resident with Sir William Henry Vaudrey with occupation as Army Student.  Address= the Gables, Buxton. The Summary Schedule on Ancestry has changed the order a little. His Mother was Florence Mary Vaudrey.  Daughter of Henry and brother to Sir William who was Norman's Father.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:54:34 PM by Tim Bell »
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/