Author Topic: Manchester Railway Men (WW1)  (Read 14061 times)

Offline Glen4059

Manchester Railway Men (WW1)
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:23:32 AM »
On Wednesday, May 14th, 1919 at 2.30 p.m. a memorial service was held at St. Paul's Cathedral, in memory of the railwaymen of Great Britain and Ireland who have died in the service of their country during the War, 1914-1918. Simultaneous services were held at other Cathedrals (including Manchester) Within the service book was a list of those known to have lost their lives listed by Railway company.

The National Railway Museum have transcribed the list and made it available in both excel and PDF format on their website at http://www.nrm.org.uk/RailwayStories/worldwarone.aspx 

It will be seen that the Great Western and North Eastern have been heavily researched, as both these companies produced staff magazines at the time and copies survive in the museums collection.

I am currently researching the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway men (See the 1914-18 section) but during this research I am uncovering details of staff from other companies so am adding this to the NRM database as I find it. All my data will be passed to the NRM in due course to make it widely available - so if you have details of any Railwaymen that you wish to share, please reply to this topic and I will update the lists

Glen