Author Topic: Major Rupert Edward Roberts 16th Battalion  (Read 14506 times)

CathyB

Major Rupert Edward Roberts 16th Battalion
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
Hello from an entirely inexperienced newbie.

I am researching my great uncle Rupert who took part in the Manchester Hill battle in March 1918. I understand that he was not killed in the first part of the battle, that he was able to collect together some of those who were left & retreat, but that he was so badly wounded he died a few days later. I have visited his grave at Rouen & have read with much interest the story of the battle on this website.

If anyone has any further information about Rupert's military service or is able to identify him on any of the Battalion photos I should be most grateful. I have his Medal card (off Ancestry) but do not understand the references thereon, nor do I know his number or the details of his enlistment or career.

All assistance, advice & suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation
Cathy
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:34:28 PM by Wendi »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Major Rupert Edward Roberts 16th Battalion
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:33:02 AM »
hiya cathy
major Roberts wasn't in the platoon photos,but if you google Manchester regiment image archive,theres a photo of him in there.

major Roberts wasn't at the hill,he was at etreillers with the last 70 men of the battalion,the germans laid down a box barrage on this area,the quarter master,captain john Thomas ball was wounded trying to get his supplies back through this,major Roberts was badly wounded on 21st march and died in hospital at rouen five days later[26th]
captain john guest,who was taken prisoner near the hill,wrote to his parents on 30th march from his prison camp and asked them to inform major Roberts of his whereabouts,he was unaware that he had died of wounds,they were close friends.

major Rupert,edward Roberts
born 15th june 1881
2nd son of james+ada Roberts,clent house,83 bromyard rd,worcester
educated Worcester grammar and jesus college,cambridge[entered 1900]
became assistant master at Dunstable grammar then merchison castle school from 1905 till 1912

his father died on 14th December 1903 and his mother on 3rd may 1917,both are buried in ashwood cemetery,worcester,major Roberts is commemorated on their gravestone[black marble cross]along with his two younger brothers,douglas+conrad

mack ;D

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:37:24 AM by mack »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
major Roberts brother douglas was also a officer in the manchesters,captain douglas,henry Roberts of 155 bromyard rd,worcester,this was his older brother percys address

mack ;D

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
Hi Cathy and Welcome to our forum  :)

I'm afraid I am going to have to remove his MIC from your post, as it infringes the copyright of your Ancestry Membership.

However the nuts and bolts of it I'm sure you understand, these two website should help

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/interpretmic.html

The Rolls and page numbers relate to the transcribing of the medals, and would indicate which Battalion he belonged to, had you not already known this information.  The chaps may be able to glance over the MIC for you and add anything they think appropriate.

It shows that he signed up as a Captain and was promoted Mayor, this would have been recorded within the London Gazette were you to wish to know the date.

All the best
Wendi :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
From the Regimental history; (Click on image to enlarge)
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
From the 16th Bn War Diary;
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
Here's a pic I found previously on http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112158
If I'm breaching copyright please delete.
Tim
ps Major Roberts was one of ten Masters or Pupils of Merchiston Castle School including Colonel Elstob
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

sphinx

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
Hi Cathy and Welcome to our forum  :)

It shows that he signed up as a Captain and was promoted Mayor, this would have been recorded within the London Gazette were you to wish to know the date.

All the best
Wendi :)

Thats quite a promotion!! ;D

timberman

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 07:44:20 PM »
 Hi Cathy

Welcome to the forum.
 Just a bit of back ground info if you don't have it.

Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900 about Rupert Edward. Roberts
Name:   Rupert Edward. Roberts
College:   JESUS
Entered:   Michs. 1900
Born:   15 Jun 1881
More Information:   Adm. pens. at JESUS, Oct. 1900. S. of James, Esq. B. June 15, 1881. School, Worcester Grammar (Mr F. A. Hilland). Matric. Michs. 1900; B.A. 1903. Assistant Master at Dunstable Grammar School; at Merchiston Castle, 1905-12. Served in the Great War, 1914-19 (Major, Manchester Regt.); died Mar. 1918, of wounds received near St Quentin. (Merchiston Castle Sch. Reg.; Univ. War List.)

Timberman

CathyB

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »
Wow!

I'd like to thank all of you who have answered my plea for help - what a wonderful bunch of people you all are! Thank you so much for all that information & for taking the time & trouble to answer & to point me in the right directions.

Cathy  :-*

CathyB

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 06:12:36 PM »
hiya cathy
major Roberts wasn't in the platoon photos,but if you google Manchester regiment image archive,theres a photo of him in there.

major Roberts wasn't at the hill,he was at etreillers with the last 70 men of the battalion,the germans laid down a box barrage on this area,the quarter master,captain john Thomas ball was wounded trying to get his supplies back through this,major Roberts was badly wounded on 21st march and died in hospital at rouen five days later[26th]
captain john guest,who was taken prisoner near the hill,wrote to his parents on 30th march from his prison camp and asked them to inform major Roberts of his whereabouts,he was unaware that he had died of wounds,they were close friends.

mack ;D

Hi Mack

Thank you for the photo tip - I have found the picture of Rupert!
How do you know this about Etreillers - is it in some book or document that I can access?
Did Capt Guest survive? Did he say anything about Rupert - was he from Merchiston too?

How do I find out about Capt Douglas Roberts & what he did in the War? How do I find out which Battalion he was in? I know he survived & came home, died in 1940. I seem to be woefully ignorant of all military matters! I have the medal cards for Rupert, Douglas & Conrad (who was in the Worcs Reg) but nothing for Ralph, the youngest.

Regards
Cathy

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 06:21:40 PM »
Cathy,

This is the list of Merchiston men I have lifted from my post on GWF.
2nd Lt Alastair Cameron. Pupil. Survived the war
Lieutenant-Colonel Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC(16th) Alumnii. Manchester Uniivesity. Languages Master. KIA Manchester Hill 21/3/18.
Lieutenant-Colonel Edmund Fearenside DSO OBE (17th) Classics Master. Survived the war and returned to teach at Merchiston. Retired 1935.
Lieutenant Aubrey Harris (21st). Alumnii. Manchester Uniivesity. Died 4/9/16.Languages Master
2nd Lt James Kirkwood. Pupil. Left the battalion on 5/1/15, shell shock
Lieutenant-Colonel C L Macdonald DSO (17th)
Captain John G Madden DSO (17th)
2nd Lt Robert Mansergh MC (17th) Pupil. Survived the war.
Captain Stanley Kenworthy (17th) KIA 1/7/16 Montauban. Master
Major C E Roberts (16th)

You will see I hadn't filled in much detail - we all need Mack! - but Captain Guest is not on this particular roll.

T
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »
captain guest wasnt at merchiston,he became friends with major roberts during their service with the battalion,i believe he had dinner with major roberts a couple of days before the battle at manchester hill,i will check captain guests letters when i get a moment,havent been able to find out which battalion captain douglas roberts served with

mack ;D

sphinx

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »
captain guest wasnt at merchiston,he became friends with major roberts during their service with the battalion,i believe he had dinner with major roberts a couple of days before the battle at manchester hill,i will check captain guests letters when i get a moment,havent been able to find out which battalion captain douglas roberts served with

mack ;D

He was in the 18th Bn.

regards

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 03:43:07 PM »
Hello Cathy,

If it is your intention to visit the scene of Major Roberts' fighting retreat, may I suggest that you would find the French Map IGN-Serie Bleue-Nesle-2509 OUEST-Scale 1:25000 invaluable if time is not to be wasted?   I feel that the French IGN map LAON ARRAS 1:100000 would be fine to get you to Ham and beyond, but does not have sufficient detail for what is needed thereafter.

On the copy I have of 2509 O, I have found the two bridges, firstly, at Buverchy on the D154 and secondly, the one at Ramecourt (not Ramiecourt) on the D186.  I have also located the Chateau Robecourt which seems to now be a ruin.  I do hope you enjoy the trip.  Regards, PhilipG.

IGN = Institut Geographique National   (Carte de Promenade.)