The Great War > 1914 - 1918

George Wilkinson and Harry Taylor

<< < (3/3)

pete th:
Hi, sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I came across a book published in late 1917 "The World War - Irlam and Cadishead's Part - Official Record and Roll of Honour 1914 - 1917" which has a photo of George Wilkinson (attached). I'm fairly certain the cap badge is Manchester Regt. I realise it's not the greatest photo but are there any other clues ?

The entry in the book states Private George Wilkinson, Manchester Regiment (same as the war memorial). As stated previously, there are no Geo Wilkinsons from the Manchesters on the CWGC or SDGW so maybe he transferred to another regiment at some point. The group of soldiers on the same page as George all died between Sept 16 and Nov 16 so George probably died around the same time.

Mack spotted someone from the census from Harphurhey who was living in Irlam at the time but the photo looks younger (to me) than 35 years old. There is a George Wilkins from the Manchesters on the CWGC (see below) but there is no additional info that would link him to Irlam and Cadishead.

WILKINS, GEORGE  Private 7273 09/07/1916  Unknown Manchester Regiment United Kingdom Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.

Does anyone have any idea where I could look next?

Cheers
Pete

pete th:
Sorry, and this time with the photo attached!

mack:

--- Quote from: Pete Th on April 25, 2008, 10:10:46 AM ---Hi, sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I came across a book published in late 1917 "The World War - Irlam and Cadishead's Part - Official Record and Roll of Honour 1914 - 1917" which has a photo of George Wilkinson (attached). I'm fairly certain the cap badge is Manchester Regt. I realise it's not the greatest photo but are there any other clues ?

The entry in the book states Private George Wilkinson, Manchester Regiment (same as the war memorial). As stated previously, there are no Geo Wilkinsons from the Manchesters on the CWGC or SDGW so maybe he transferred to another regiment at some point. The group of soldiers on the same page as George all died between Sept 16 and Nov 16 so George probably died around the same time.

Mack spotted someone from the census from Harphurhey who was living in Irlam at the time but the photo looks younger (to me) than 35 years old. There is a George Wilkins from the Manchesters on the CWGC (see below) but there is no additional info that would link him to Irlam and Cadishead.

WILKINS, GEORGE  Private 7273 09/07/1916  Unknown Manchester Regiment United Kingdom Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.

Does anyone have any idea where I could look next?

Cheers
Pete

--- End quote ---
pte 7273 george wilkins lived on fielding st,patricroft,he was in the 16th battalion,KIA 9-7-16,aged 21

mack

liverpool annie:

No additional information I'm afraid !!  :-\

Medal card of Wilkins, George
Manchester Regiment
Private
Date
1914-1920

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03b0/

Name: WILKINS, GEORGE
Initials: G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment
Unit Text: 16th Bn.
Date of Death: 09/07/1916
Service No: 7273
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C.
Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version