Author Topic: A Zeppelin, Cleethorpes and the Manchester Regiment  (Read 9045 times)

Offline wendyg

A Zeppelin, Cleethorpes and the Manchester Regiment
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »
I have just returned from a Western Front Association Local meeting in Dorset where we had a presentation on Zeppelins.  During the talk the speaker mentioned that over 30 soldiers of the Manchester Regiment were killed when a bomb(bombs were dropped in April 1916There wasn't an opportunity for me to ask a detailed question . Could anyone tell me more about it?   Would a battalion be stationed there?  Was it a camp for training?
Wendyg

timberman

Re: A Zeppelin, Cleethorpes and the Manchester Regiment
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
Hi Wendyg

3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion The Manchester Regiment

Mobilised at Ashton under Lyne in August 1914. To Humber defences. In October 1914 to Cleethorpes. During the latter part of March 1916, Air Raid warnings were given every night, hostile aircraft being seen and heard on several occasions. On 31 March 1916 the warning was given and, at about 1.30am on 1 April, Zeppelin L22 commanded by Kapitanleutnant Martin Dietrich was seen approaching Cleethorpes from a S-Easterly direction. His intention had been to attack London and East Anglia but due to engine problems he aborted his original intention, now intending to attack Grimsby docks. Searchlights from the Taylor 's Avenue battery locked on to the L22 and the anti-aircraft gun at Waltham Wireless Station opened fire, upon which the Zeppelin commenced to drop bombs in the open country. Having passed over Cleethorpes, it dropped a flare which fell on the river end of the pier and turning back over the Railway Station, dropped three bombs which hit the Baptist Chapel, the council office at the corner of Cambridge Street, the third falling in Sea View Street.

The last two caused damage only to property but, unfortunately, the Baptist Chapel was being used as a billet in which 70 men of "E" Company, who had arrived the day before and called up under the "Derby Scheme" were accommodated. Men of "A" Company were using some shops adjacent to the Chapel as billets.

The first bomb, falling on the slate roof of the Chapel, detonated on impact and took effect immediately. Approximately half the roof was demolished, a large part falling into the building in which the men were standing-to. The upper part of the wall and the copingstone off the North end were thrown on to the corrugated iron roof of the shops in which the men of "A" Company were quartered.

As the night was intensely dark and no lights could be shown owing to the fact that the Zeppelin was still dropping bombs in the fields around Humberstone, rescue work was carried out under very trying conditions. The Town Hall and Yarra House were used as dressing stations as the accommodation afforded by the Regimental Medical Inspection Room, was inadequate.

Doctors, members of the VAD and Ambulances were on the scene in a very short time and by 4.30am the killed and wounded had been removed. It would be impossible to give too much praise to the members of the VAD. Here were a number of women who had made themselves proficient in first-aid during their spare time, but who probably had never had to bandage a bad case, suddenly called upon to deal with the most horrible wounds imaginable. Yet never for a moment did even the youngest of them falter, but went straight to the case nearest her hand with a coolness and thoroughness that might have been expected of an Army Nurse of many years standing.

It was indeed a fine example of pluck and grit that was shown by these women. The total casualties were 31 killed or died of wounds and 51 injured or wounded. The names of the dead are as follows:

33055 LCpl J Swift
    32323 LCpl C Heynes
    30358 Pte W Ball
    34637 Pte A Beaumont
    32338 Pte Beardsley
    8779 Pte S Bell
    2425 Pte W Bodsworth
    30117 Pte T Brierley
    34521 Pte WH Brown
    34619 Pte E Budding
    32194 Pte F Chandler
    32997 Pte J Chandler
    34618 Pte J Clowes
    34633 Pte H Cuthbert
    30241 Pte F Dimelow
    34625 Pte J Corfield
    30401 Pte T Diveney
    32215 Pte AE Downes
    34620 Pte R Fox
    32034 Pte W Francis
    32263 Pte T Hannan
    33107 Pte P Harrison
    30126 Pte W Hetherington
    32278 Pte T Pierce
    27724 Pte J Radford
    27902 Pte N Ramsden
    30179 Pte J Russell
    32275 Pte T Tomkinson
    27951 Pte J Wheeler
    34639 Pte W Wild
    27537 Pte A Wood

On Tuesday, 4 April 1916, twenty-four were buried in Cleethorpes Cemetery. five deceased were taken to their home towns by their relatives.

The Military Funeral was very impressive. The Massed Bands of the 3rd Bn Manchester Regiment, 4th Bn Manchester Regiment and the 3rd Bn Lincolnshire Regiment took part. The 24 coffins were carried on eight motor lorries, draped with the Union Jack and covered with wreaths and other floral tributes received from the General Officer Commanding and Staff, Officers and Ladies of The Regiment, the several Sergeants Messes, all Companies of the Battalion, Regiments, Batteries and Schools of Instruction in the Command, Members of St Peter's Church and Baptist Churches, the Hebrew congregation of Grimsby and Sisters of Brighowgate Hospital and numerous friends in Cleethorpes, Grimsby and vicinity.

Regular Army 1914 - 1919

by Robert Bonner MA Captain (Retd),

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
A picture of the cemetery can be seen here.

http://www.nzwargraves.org.nz/cemeteries/cleethorpes-cemetery

Timberman

Offline wendyg

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
Thanks so much for such a detailed reply. My interest has been so inspired that I shall do further research into these men. Wow.  I really appreciate this. I didn't want to take over the focus of the ' Zeppelins ' to the Manchesters ! I shall research further
Thanks again
Wendyg

timberman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
Your welcome Wendyg

There are some bits about the Zeppelin,
Cleethorpes and the Manchester Regiment
on the forum.

There was a web site but when I tried to Google
it the domain is for sale? (sad) :'(

Timberman

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
Wendy.
A little more for you. This is a copy of a letter written by Lieut. Colonel H Kendall Oram, Commanding 3rd Bn Manchester Regiment and the remarks by Brigadier General T Hope Stavert, Commanding South Section, Humber Garrison:-

6th April 1916
   With reference to the Air Raid at Cleethorpes on the night of March 31st-April 1st 1916.  I should like to bring to the notice of the General Officer Commanding the excellent way in which all concerned in the rescue work at the Baptist Chapel carried out very trying and dangerous duties. I noted the following as behaving particularly well:-

Major CM Thornycroft DSO        Captain WW MacBean    2nd Lieut. JA Jones
2nd Lieut. TCW Haynes                 7657 Coy Sergt. Major J Lemon �A� Coy
1844 Sergt H Taylor �H� Coy       6693 Sergt JJ Chapman �H� Coy
6163 Sergt J Morgan �H� Coy      13725 Pte JW Smith �D� Coy

Headquarters Humber Garrison  7/4/1916.

I have pleasure in forwarding the above but must add the name of Lieut. Colonel Oram who himself set a fine example.

(sd) T Hope Stavert.    Brig General Commanding South Section Humber Garrison.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:58:23 PM by timberman »
Robert

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »
A massive stone memorial cross was erected in the cemetery to the 24 men of the 3rd Manchesters who are buried there. Unveiled 9/3/1918.

This memorial consists of a grassy mound 3100mm x 4300mm x 400mm high, on which is placed three panels of York Stone, with the names of 31 men who died in the zeppelin raid on Cleethorpes on April 1st 1916. The panels are on a brick base and a stone cross stands on top of the central panel. The panels measure 850mm x 640mm and the cross is 2500mm high.  There is a flowerbed in the centre of this mound.

At the front is a square stone block measuring 530mm x 430mm. Within this and mounted on the stone is a white stone shield, which describes the events of the 1st April 1916, and gives the reason for the memorial.  The whole memorial sits within an area of lawn 27000mm x 10000mm, which was where the men were buried.

The central panel reads:-

In Memoriam
N.C.O.'s & men 3rd Battalion The Manchester Regt
Who lost their lives whilst serving their country on April 1st 1916
[/i]

The inscription on the white stone panel, on the York stone base reads:-

In memoriam of the memory of the 3rd Battalion Manchester Regt who gave their lives for their country on the morning of April 1st 1916.
A tribute of respect from the Cleethorpes Baptist Church.
Death is swalled up in victory 1 Cor XV 54[/center
]
Robert

Offline wendyg

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »
Thanks Robert.

I cannot imagine the work that rescue teams had to carry out , though a mass grave for 24 men says a great deal.   I discovered that 1 soldier has a grave/ plot in Manchester Southern Cemetery, his body having been cremated.
Thanks again for such a detailed reply which has certainly got me thinking.  What was  a 'special reserve' battalion?

wendyg

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
google this wendy

reserves and reservists the british army 1914-1918

this will answer your questions on reserves

mack ;D

Offline wendyg

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »
Thanks Mack

I am much the wiser and am beginning to understand the formations of the British Army!
Wendyg

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 06:28:29 AM »
there were 84 men in the church and adjoining shop when the bomb fell,48 men were injured and 33 were killed or died of wounds,only three men came away unscathed,they were playing cards in the cellar.

34643 Thomas stott aged 19 was one of those badly injured,he died of his injuries on 2nd june 1916,buried in hollinwood cemetery

34620 Robert fox had a 48hr leave pass but decided it wasn't worth going home to Oldham,aged 19

32914 frank chandler was only 17yrs old but officially listed as 19yrs

john cornfield never regained consciousness

louis Beaumont had only been in the army for 5 days

mack

Offline wendyg

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 01:14:20 PM »
Thanks Mack. Those details make it all the more poignant.. I am researching the Manchesters in my ancestral home of Denton and one of those killed came from there and is recorded on the ir Roll of Honour and memorial.
Wendyg

Offline grovesb

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Are there any lists of soldiers that were injured but survived the raid.
Thank you
William Groves

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 01:32:06 AM »
32208 james,francis Kelly
46 high st,denton
wounded in right leg
died 18-11-1923
aged 33
buried denton cemetery.D.480
buried in same grave as sgt 10861 Thomas jones,2nd south lancs

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 02:02:43 AM »
34643 Thomas stott
the only time Thomas was mentioned as one of the casualties was in a commemorative service in 2006

mack