Author Topic: Divisional Padre and his sone  (Read 6428 times)

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Divisional Padre and his sone
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
Hi Robert,

I'm seeking details of John Wilton Williams who served as vicar of St Crispins, Fallowfield from 1919-1924.  The St Crispin's vicar had previously been
the 90th Divisional Padre at the Somme and I'm awaiting confirmation that Rev. Williams is our man.

Seeing an Ex RN Padre delivering a Service two generations later is interesting, particularly when your Reverend has the same name.  Would you mind asking the modern day Rev. if there is a connection with the earlier Pardre?

Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
Mystery Solved Rev Balleine is my man.  St Crispins 1924-30.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:42:13 PM »
Robert William or Wilfred Balleine MC.  Son of the Dean of Jersey. Born 1881 and died 29 August 1951.
Padre to the 16th Battalion until July 1917.
His medals are held in the Regimental Museum.
Robert

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:12:26 PM »
Thanks Robert,

We are now completely off-topic due to my red herring.

However:-
The 16th - 18th Battalion (Divisional) Padre was Robert Wilfred Balleine � the son of the Dean of Jersey.  Reverend Balleine had been Archdeacon of Manchester and author on religious educational books.  He was gazetted to the Army Chaplains Department in September 1914.  He was mentioned in despatches on 15th June 1916 � before his Division�s first battle � and subsequently received the Military Cross. Robert�s brother, Cuthbert died as a Captain in the Rifle Brigade in Flanders on 31st July 1915. Robert was subsequently the vicar of St Crispins, Fallowfield between 1924 & 1930.  Appropriately, Fallowfield was a new post war estate allegedly built for the �Heroes of the Great War�. (3)  Rev. Balleine died in Moorfields Eye Hospital in 1951.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:32:30 PM by charlie »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »
Thanks Robert,

We are now completely off-topic due to my red herring.

However:-
The 16th - 18th Battalion (Divisional) Padre was Robert Wilfred Balleine – the son of the Dean of Jersey.  Reverend Balleine had been Archdeacon of Manchester and author on religious educational books.  He was gazetted to the Army Chaplains Department in September 1914.  He was mentioned in despatches on 15th June 1916 – before his Division’s first battle – and subsequently received the Military Cross. Robert’s brother, Cuthbert died as a Captain in the Rifle Brigade in Flanders on 31st July 1915. Robert was subsequently the vicar of St Crispins, Fallowfield between 1924 & 1930.  Appropriately, Fallowfield was a new post war estate allegedly built for the “Heroes of the Great War”. (3)  Rev. Balleine died in Moorfields Eye Hospital in 1951.

Tim
i think you will find that it was his brother austen,humphrey balleine who was MIDs on 15th june 1916,not robert balleine

mack ;D

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Re: Divisional Padre and his sone
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Noted Mack,

Cheers

T