Author Topic: Hello from Limerick  (Read 10511 times)

princess fleabag

Re: Hello from Limerick
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
More photos!

princess fleabag

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »
And more!

Offline george.theshed197

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 07:44:29 PM »
Hi again Princess,
Thanks for that information and the other photographs -shame about that being the only page of the WD ; now I will be wondering whether that cwts... was of rice (highly unlikely ' cos that is one hell lot of rice to carry around in the ulu) more likely Tapioc - the basis root crop from which they obtain Tapioca which could be used as basic protein.
Noting the pre-ponderence of 'Terrorist' photos I am beginning  to wonder if ,as you say, ".. your father had been a clerk in civilian life" I am tempted to consider that he may have worked in the HQ Intelligence Office maybe with Sgt. Jack Kewley and co?
Sorry to see that the photograph referred to as 'possibly being your father' wasn't but at least from the other correspondence you are getting details of possibilities to view.
One thing I can tell you is that you are creating some new INTEREST in the Forum !!!
Get the books Bob has recommended to you and you will expand your knowledge as to some of what your father had been doing whilst out there - and yes indeed things were quite 'Civilised' even in those days of the Emergency - It wasn't ALL Tiger and Anchor to refer to the local brews in the off duty days.
Looks forward for hearing more from Limerick  - not been there since my childhood days in the late 1930's  on holidays with my Grandmother and family .
Cheers for now
George.

Offline artyhughes

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »
What amazing photographs from the past,the name Fitton I cannot place,I do not remember him in Support Company and as suggested by George it was most likely that he was in the intelligence section,the battalion was mostly made up of National Servicemen,who did an excellent job under the circumstances,my own platoon was made up entirely of NS soldiers,with the exception of NCO's they were excellent in every respect.George, Sgt Johnny Redwood to my knowledge never smoked a pipe,the only pipes of interest to John were the ones that threw out a 3"mortar bomb,I look forward to further photo's if they are available.

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
I forgot the link in my earlier reply, I have just added it.  Just in case here it is again:  http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?board=34.0

Too much on my mind at the moment.

Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »
Having had access to the photographs of certain CTs (Communist Terrorists) and the various maps I don't think that there is any doubt that your father was for a time part of the Intelligence Section under the late Sergeant John Kewley.

The group photo is, I think, of various SEPs (Surrendered Enemy Personnel) taken for propaganda purposes to show how happy & content a  terrorist could be after surrendering to the security forces.  This photo and other similar ones were printed on leaflets dropped in and around the jungle to persuade others to give themselves up.  This proved to be very successful.
Robert

Offline george.theshed197

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
Good to know that you are still around Roy,
Now I am trying to work out whom am I thinking of to confuse me to think of Johhny as a pipe smoker ??

I think that the current thinking is as I suggested - your father was definitely associated with the I. Sec in HQ coy so let us see if we can expand on any  further clues hopefully still to come. One of the photos refers to Alor Star on the reverse but that is not necessarily indicating the your father himself  was with A Coy up there; those photos would have been passed on to HQ or the Police along with any other relevant information coming along with the picture.

Looking forward to seeing any further "GEMS" from you which to set to set us all agog.

Take care.
George.

princess fleabag

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »
Hello,

For Robert Bonner, yes I have one of the leaflets to which you refer.  I'm glad the photos on it are fairly hazy since one side shows two bandits with various bodily parts missing and my father has made some translations to the text written which say 'Defy - this is the result' whilst on the other side it shows various photos of surrendering bandits with arms raised and being given drinks at a table with part of the text translated as 'SURRENDER!' and 'You will be well treated'.

For george.theshed I have just one page that lists the operations of A, B, C, D and S Companies in a certain February.  A Company were in Penang District, B in Kroh, C in Baling-Gurun and Gurun and Sungei,D in Wellesley Province and S in Kulim.  The operations were Operation Longtemps, York and rather intriguingly Pancake.  For C Company, it mentions a Siamese family thought to be giving assistance to a small party of bandits living in the area and says 'Kongsi screened and area searched but no contact made.  Siamese family found living in previously believed uninhabited area QY270116.  Identity cards appeared in order.  Police making further enquiries.'

I'll scan both these documents in this week and put them up.  In the meantime, more bandits/civilians?

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
The story continues....
Your latest photos show the female Chen Lan. She was undoubtedly suspected of either being a terrorist or a member of the Min Yuen who provided undercover aid to the terrorists.

On the back the full reading is 'Identity Card No 2118. Syntok. Subject to Special Branch check on 1 September 1949.'   Syntok at that time was a small area near to the Siamese border and subjected to a lot of communist control.  All civilians had been issued with ID cards.

The very efficient Police Special Branch was located in the Kedah Police HQ in Alor Star which is where these photographs originated.  Copies were given to the regiment when conducting security checks etc and this is probably how Pte Fitton came by these.
Robert

princess fleabag

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 12:05:10 AM »
Hello,

Sorry for the silence, have been enjoying the extremely fine weather here.  Hope to get to the scanner tomorrow for more photos.