Author Topic: New Member introduction and research areas  (Read 1378 times)

Offline wendyg

New Member introduction and research areas
« on: May 25, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
Hello
I have been a member for about a month and have been familiarising myself with the forum. I am really impressed and have learned so much.  Fantastic knowledge and dedication.  My area of interest are the Pals Battalions, in particular the 17th and 18th in which my relatives served.  Currently I am researching their platoons and would welcome any input.  Hopefully I can add stuff to other people's research too

1.  17th Battalion. C company  X Platoon. Pte Edward Woolfenden 8983 (1890 -1954)  my maternal side Great Uncle

On Memorial Roll he is recorded as L/Cpl but no evidence on photographs and no service record available.   Worked for the family firm J Woolfenden & Co, hat manufacturers of Denton Manchester,  I have photocopies of an ate station card for 3rd September 1914, Free Trade Hall, 2nd City Battalion, a letter 'from the trenches', a 'ship label' with details of wounds (severe) on ship 'Cambrian' (?) for 24 or 26 March 1918 and a label 'Diary of Transference'.  So far in my research I have not come across any soldier in the 17th who worked in batting or lived in Denton so  I am wondering why he joined a Pals battalion as his brothers were in the RFC and RMLI.

2  18th Battalion. A Company 1 Platoon Pte Joseph Arthur Morris  9986 (b 1894 Heaton Park) paternal side 2nd cousin x1 removed

Worked for Cooperative Insurance Society in Manchester.  Service Record on Ancestry.  Taken prisoner November 1917, repatriated 1918.  Diagnosed with neurasthenia.   Son, Keith Morris killed in 2nd World War flying with RAF.  I have a photo of him in the 'blue' uniform.

Neither relatives on platoon photos, both on the supplementary ones but haven't been able to identify them.

3 53rd (YS) battalion  Pte Joseph Hulse Guest 85722. B 1900  paternal side 2nd cousin x1 removed

Service record on Ancestry.  It seems he went to Germany and was demobbed in 1920.  I would love to know more.

Finally does anyone know anything about Lt Col Spencer Mitchell of the 20th and 5th battalion, Manchester Regiment? I have a copyof his MIC and see that he was a SWB recipient  but I can't find out what year that was.  He was officer commanding in Scarborough when Wilfred Owen was there.

I hope this is of interest,

Wendy

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:59:39 PM by harribobs »

Offline wendyg

Re: New Member introduction and research areas
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
Just realised that my Greeting should have read 'hello'.  Hope this didn't put anyone off from responding!
Wendy

Offline Pete Th

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »
Hi Wendy, a warm welcome to the forum  ;D

Cheers
Pete
Remembering

Pte Sidney Lee (36719), 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regt - dow 18.02.17
Sgt Charles Roberts (13668), 11th Bn, Manchester Regiment - kia 18.05.18
Bombardier John Hesford (70065), 147th Heavy Battery, RGA dow - 04.09.18
Pte Sidney Lee (4131324), 8th Bn, Cheshire Regiment -  kia 12.03.41

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »
Hi Wendy and a Warm Welcome to our forum  ;D

I think mack will know, but somewhere there is a list of establishment by establishment men who joined up and I'm sure J Woolfenden & Co is among them, but for the life of me I can't remember what the list is called.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »
Hi Wendy

and welcome  :D

we need to split these two topics so the group can focus on each one, so I'm going to do this now

first one  http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=7137.0

second one http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=7138.0

third http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

and the last  ;D  http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=7140.0

I will close this thread now and anyone can post the individual ones

good luck wendy

chris
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:06:51 PM by harribobs »
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."