Author Topic: Manchester Pals (16th)  (Read 2277 times)

NikkiB

Manchester Pals (16th)
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »
I have recently read the excellent Manchester Pals by Michael Stedman and I am interested in researching the lives and miltary careers of some of those who served in the 16th. However I haven't a clue where to start, does anyone have any tips or possible contacts to help me get started?
Cheers

tisgrannie

Re: Manchester Pals (16th)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »
   Hi NikkiB and welcome to the forum. I just copied this to show you that someone else has the same interest as yourself. There are quite a few repies to this posting and they are added frequently. If you click in the search box at the top right tool bar and key in 16th Bn you will find various references.
best wishes
tisgrannie

http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=554.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right then... I have finally made a start!

I am compiling a databse of all Officers and Men of the 1st City Battalion, and will probably need some help from time to time. I certainly won't spend as much time on it as I would like to before the end of this year (duty calls!).

Have started it as a large spreadsheet until I design a database to meet the requirements, and if Chris will let me, I will post it on the main site for our members' perusal.

I so far have the following reference material:
16th Batt War Diary
16th, 17th, 18th etc Book of Honour
SDGW
CWGC
Manchester Pals by Stedman.
And I may have 'borrowed' the information held in the POW database in this site

These alone should give me a few thousand names, but not really those of OR's in particular who were not killed or gained distinctions. ANY other ephemera that may come in digital form would be appreciated to put faces to names.

So I am calling on any and all information that you all might have on the men of the 16th!

Cheers,

Dave   

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 10:14:11 PM by harribobs »

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Manchester Pals (16th)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
hi nikki

welcome to the group

it's an intriguing story isn't it. there's a couple of books i'd recommend 

Nash, TAM       

The Diary of an Unprofessional Soldier..

An Officer in 16th Manchesters May 1915 - 1918                                                                                                                                                              Picton Publishing

Westropp & Kempster   

Manchester City Battalions of the 90th and 91st Brigades
.  Book of Honour.  (16th – 23rd Battalions 1915)

as for contacts, i don't think you could get any better place than here. There are quite a few of us with a strong interest in the Great War and quite a few who had relatives in the battalion

you may be interested in a cd available from the manchester and lancshire family history society as well, it is the Book of Honour for the Pals battalions on a cd (in pdf format) with an index of the men

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."