Author Topic: How do I insert photo into my posting?  (Read 5379 times)

jackie0051

How do I insert photo into my posting?
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
I'm trying to discover which regiment my father served in during WW11.
The Army Records cannot find any details under his name. All I know is that he served in Italy. He lived in Ardwick Green and the possibility of Ardwick 8th Battalion has been mentioned. I don't have his service number but have just one Army portrait photo sadly no badges visible. I would like to put the photo into a posting but I just don't seem to be getting it right, I've clicked on Attach File and it shows details of the name of the file but the pic is not appearing so would welcome some help.
Regards Jackie.  
 Oh, surprise surprise, just clicked on my message and the pic is showing. J

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
Re: How do I insert photo into my posting?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:37:46 PM »
 Hi there Jackie,
Unfortunately like you have said- there is no obvious sign of any badge BUT ,having enlarged the shot, I THINK I can see a glimpse of what looks possibie like the RASC- the Royal Army Service Corps-now then the best guess might well have been the depot on Upper Chorlton Road, Chorlton, Manchester( near Seymour Grove.
Sorry cannot do any better.
George.   

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
Back again Jackie,
Let us have his name and date of birth etc and his address- maybe we can have another try at looking around for him.
George.

jackie0051

Re: How do I insert photo into my posting? Reply to George
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:13:11 AM »
Hi George, this is so kind of you and so very much appreciated.
I have been researching my late fathers family history for 13 yrs but have never been able to obtain a copy of his birth certificate he doesn't seem to have been registered.
His mother was only 16 yrs old at the time of his birth and should have been at boarding school in Berwick on Tweed England at the time of his birth but I assume she was back in Ireland with her parents who were a well known travelling show family.
Dad's mother emigrated to the US in the late 1920's and Dad appears to have been left with his grandfather Thomas Brennan in Raphoe Ireland which basically borders both south and northern Ireland. Dad then appears to have been fostered by the McElhinney family living in Raphoe.
He never finished school and left Raphoe in 1938 as did the McElhinneys.
Dad shows up on the Manchester electoral role just after the War, living at 15 Shakespeare Street Ardwick with the McElhinneys so I assume he came to England with the McElhinneys.
Dad name was:
Alan Francis Brennan
Born February 1925/6
His religion was Roman Catholic.
His birth mothers name was Lydia Louise Brennan but Dad never had any contact with her after she left Ireland and he only knew of her name as Lulu Brennan.
On the wedding cert Nov 1948 he gives his fathers name as Francis Brennan but this is very unlikely because there's a strong possibility that his birth fathers name was DeFrench.
He was still living in 15 Shakespeare Street when he married and it's the house we moved into when Mrs Susan McElhinney died.
I do remember an A4 page of small passport size Army photos where the Army uniform appeared to be a dark brown colour but of course that could have been how the photo's developed as I remember the rest of the uniform at home was khaki in colour.
Will come back to you if I remember anything else.
Kindest regards Jackie.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
Back again,
It would appear I seem to have hit a problem in that I cannot find any for 1948 from the Manchester area !!

the only ones I do have are as follows -  Mar 1948 -

BRENNAN , Francis - STAINES.............Prescot.........10f : 402
       "             "      - ARROWSMITH.....Leigh............10d : 98
       "             "      - WILLIAMS...........Liverpool, N.,.10d : 297

and nothing whatsoever for DeFrench ?

George.

jackie0051

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »
Hello again George.
Dad married in 1948 but he had been (demobbed?) at that time. The Wedding cert shows he was working in Ardwick on the Stockport road Nov 1948, so I think he must have left the Army once the War had finished.
So sorry to keep taking up your time.
Regards Jackie

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
Jackie,
Yes I was aware of that BUT the only response I had got for my enquiries hence the reason for my answer.  I think I had better leave well alone at this point, sorry cannot do any better from the information available
George.

jackie0051

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
Hi George, thank you so much for help, really is so much appreciated.
It's so odd how I continually come up against a brick wall regards records for my father but it certainly does appear that his name was Alan Brennan, his school records show him enrolled as Alan Brennan as does his Confirmation details and he definitely married in the name of Alan Brennan, perhaps I'm not meant to know.
Once again many thanks. Jackie