Author Topic: Lt (A/Capt) Richard William Leslie Wain VC  (Read 15977 times)

delta

Lt (A/Capt) Richard William Leslie Wain VC
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »
I understand Richard Wain served with the Manchesters - with the 17th and 25th Battalions and was still "badged" Manchesters when he won is VC with the Tanks. 
Can anyone help with more details of his service in 1915 and 1916.
Stephen

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Lt (A/Capt) Richard William Leslie Wain VC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »
i can't say i can find a lot about him, he wasn't one of the original pals officers as far as i can see

he was wounded on the 1st july 16 as the battn was attacking montauban, i can see that he was wounded before montauban but can't find out more from my records

i have some documents from cptn fearenside, i will have a look at them to see if he's mentioned

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

delta

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »
thanx Chris

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »

timberman

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 11:51:56 PM »
Thursday, 6 March 2008, 11:02 GMT
'Forgotten' VC heroes remembered
 Two "forgotten" World War I heroes who both came from the same south Wales town and were both awarded the Victoria Cross are finally to be remembered.
Sgt Samuel Pearse and Capt Richard Wain were awarded Britain's highest gallantry medal for their actions in the conflict which claimed their lives.

But neither are included among the names on the war memorial in Penarth in the Vale of Glamorgan.

The town council is to honour them 90 years on with a special plaque.

Military historian Paul Kiley has carried out research into the stories of the two Penarth VC holders who are among only 20 from Wales - and 1355 in total - to receive the honour launched in 1856 by Queen Victoria.

Sgt Pearse died after WWI had ended in August 1919 when he was volunteering with the 45th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers at Emtsa in northern Russia.

Mr Kiley explained: "Samuel Pearse was born and bred in Penarth emigrated to Australia in 1911, was at Gallipoli, the Battle of the Somme.

"He survived all that, he won the Military Medal, and then he was posted off to north Russia at the end of the war where he won his VC posthumously."

Capt Wain, meanwhile, was killed at Cambrai in France on 20 November 1917, while serving with the Royal Tank Corps.

"Richard Wain took on a German enemy position single handed after his tank was hit. His crew were killed, he was mortally wounded.

"Unfortunately, due to the devastation of the front, his body was never found, just like Sam Pearse."

A plaque honouring the two men will be unveiled in April.

Medal entitlement of:
Captain Richard William WAIN
25th Bn, Manchester Regiment
att'd 'A' Bn, Tank Corps
Victoria Cross
British War Medal ( 1914-20 )
Victory Medal ( 1914-19 )

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 11:53:25 PM »
WAIN, Richard William Leslie
Captain. 'A' Battalion. Tank Corps.
London Gazetted on 13th February 1918.
VC Medal is in private ownership (family).
Born on the 5th December, 1896 at Penarth, Glamorganshire, Wales.
Killed in action on 20th November 1917, Marcoing, France.
Remembered on the Canbrai Memorial, France and in Llandaff Cathedral, Glamorganshire, Wales.
Digest of Citation reads:
Near Canbrai, in France, at Marcoing on 20th November 1917, Captain Wain and another soldier were the only survivors, both seriously wounded after an attack. The tank, in which they both were, was severely disabled by a direct hit. They were near an enemy strong point which was holding up the attack. Although he was bleeding profusely, he refused medical attention and rushed from the rear of the tank armed with a Lewis gun. He successfully captured the enemy position, taking half of the enemy garrison as prisoners. Picking up a rifle, he continued to fire after the retreating enemy, in spite of the fact that his wounds are extremely serious. He continued firing until he was killed, by a sniper, with a shot to the head. It was owing to Captain Wain's extreme bravery that his comrades were able to advance.
Additional information:. Captain Richard Wain was the son of Mr Harris Wain of 4, The Avenue, Llandaff and his wife Florence Emily (n�e Tucker). Educated at Llandaff Cathedral School and also at St Bees College, Cumberland. He joined the Public School Corps of the Middlesex Regiment, being amongst the first to volunteer. On 16th July 1915 he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Manchester Regiment. 12th July 1916 promoted to Lieutenant and then to Acting Captain the following 12th November.
On the 1st July 1916 he took part in the charge on the Somme of the Manchester Regiment where he was wounded

Timberman
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:52:17 AM by timberman »

tisgrannie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:00:41 AM »
Wow! what an impresive response timberman. I'm impressed with the amount of info you have. Can I please ask where you obtained all that?
How brave was Lt Wain? Its like reading a "Boys Own" what a hero.
Delta has lots to go on there.
regards
tisgrannie

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 09:23:47 AM »

he was wounded on the 1st july 16 as the battn was attacking montauban,

Interesting!!!

in the Montauban attack report, Lt Wain is noted to have been wounded before Montauban, however....

in the history of the 17th Battalion "Sec-Lieut R W L Wain (who subsequently won the VC in the Tank Corps) " is noted as joining the battalion on the 27th October 1916 from the 3rd Battalion  8)

the war diary actually reports it as being the 28th October 1916
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:22:22 PM by harribobs »

timberman

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 10:34:36 AM »

Wain, R.W.L.  A/Captain  'A' Btn., Tank Corps  Cambrai Memorial

Question  ???  If he was attached to the Tank Corps does that mean he was still officially in the Manchester Regiment?
Is he listed as a Manchester VC or just a Tank Corps VC? :-\

Cwgc Entry

Name: WAIN, RICHARD WILLIAM LESLIE
Initials: R W L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment
Unit Text: 25th Bn.
Secondary Regiment: Tank Corps
Secondary Unit Text: attd. "A" Bn. 
Date of Death: 20/11/1917
Awards: V C
Additional information: Son of Florence E. Wain, of "Woodside," The Avenue, Llandaff, Cardiff, and the late Harris Wain.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 13.

Timberman

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
well it's listed as a Tank Corps VC

delta

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »
Many of the "Tank Corps" honours were won by "attached officers". Details of his service with the Manchesters I have are:

He was commissioned into the Manchester Regiment on 16 July 1915 and served on the Western Front from March 1916.  On 1st July 1916, took part in 17th Manchester�s attack on Montauban. Lt Kenneth Callan-McArdle's diary recalls: �The ground was so rough and broken with shell holes that when I lay down under our barrage, I found myself ahead of the first line � I had four men left. The 17th had advanced too quickly. We had done it all at the slowest walk and been quite unchecked � so we lay down for forty minutes, under the shells, waiting. Waiting is hard. We were to rush the village at 9:56. The time came. I was watching �A� Coy to see them rise and the seconds ticked on. I hailed a sergeant and asked him, shouting in his ear, where his officers were. �All gone, Sir�, he shouted back.  I caught a glimpse of young Wain, his face haggard with pain, one leg soaked with blood, smoking a cigarette and pushing himself forward with a stick. His voice was full of sobs and tears of pain and rage. �Get up you ��.s. Blast your souls � get up�. I waved to him and he smiled and dropped � he knew it was not absolutely up to him any longer. We of �B� Coy took over, for he was the last of �A� Coy officers and their Sergeant Major was also killed."   He was subsequently promoted to Lieutenant on 12 July and acting Captain in November 1916.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:53:04 AM by timberman »

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
   He was subsequently promoted to Lieutenant on 12 July and acting Captain in November 1916.
in the battalion history he's still refered to as 2nd Lieutenant when drafted in from the 3rd battalion in Oct 1916  (not 17 as i posted earlier ::))

i can't help thinking there's something odd here,  did McArdle's diary say anything else about him?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:24:26 PM by harribobs »

delta

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »
I'll ask on the GWF , which is where I found the info

Stephen

Offline wain

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 01:52:15 AM »
Timberman,
You say in one of your reports that Richard was the son of the late Harris Wain, I take it you meant at the time he was serving his country, Harris never died till 9th May 1925. Harris and Florence went to Buckingham Palace 20th April 1918 to recieve Richards VC from King George V.
Harris and his family are buried in the Churchyard of St.John the Baptist Sulley in the family grave of is parents, Richard is also mentioned on the grave.
regards Wain
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:53:55 AM by timberman »

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »
hi wain

and welcome to the forum

i suspect you are a relation of Richards (?)

Timberman was quoting from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, i can only imagine it was updated after Harris's death

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1757554

cheers
chris