Author Topic: Lt. Colonel Henry Gee SUTTON, 40th Lancashire RVC  (Read 4035 times)

Offline sphinx

Lt. Colonel Henry Gee SUTTON, 40th Lancashire RVC
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:26:31 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to do some historical background work on the above officer of the "3rd Manchester Rifles", Henry Gee Sutton.

From the London & Edinburgh Gazettes I have gleaned he became a Lt. 8.12.1866, Captain 8.1.1879, Major 21.1.1874 and Lt. Col Commanding 12.7.1876. 

It appears he was a solicitor with the firm Tindall, Varey & Sutton, 49 King Street, Manchester.

I have searched Ancestry and FMP and can find no birth, no marriage, no death and not one census return for him.  I am guessing at a birth date of 1840 +/- 10 years.

Could anyone assist with any of these and give me a starting point for more research please.

regards

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
Re: Lt. Colonel Henry Gee SUTTON, 40th Lancashire RVC
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
Sphinx,
British Library Newspaper archives:

Liverpool Mercury – 9th Jan 1879. 2nd Royal Lancashire: Henry Gee Sutton Esq to be captain.
Manchester Evening News – 27th Sept 1873. Henry Gee Sutton was one of the proposers of Joseph Farmer Milne Esq  as a candidate for the St Ann’s ward.

Bob B

Offline sphinx

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
Bob,

I found the first reference myself and was very confused.

Could an officer in the Volunteers also have a concurrent commission in the Militia?  The 2nd Royal Lancs were in Liverpool.  I have not found a connection to Liverpool as yet, but then again I havent actually found much at all.

As for the 2nd bit, what the heck does that mean?   Any ideas?

regards

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »
Sphinx,
I have abit more for you:

1861 Census - Henry Gee Sutton – born +/- 1843 in Hull Yorkshire, to Appleby and Emma Sutton. Living in Hulme in 1861 and working as a merchant’s clerk.

There are various London Gazette entries re his appointment and promotions (which you have) but also see London Gazette 30th April 1880 when Henry Gee Sutton was sued for non-payment of a mortgage agreement dated 1 October 1874 between Henry Gee Sutton of King Street Manchester and James Cronshaw of Stockport Etchells, relating to a property known as Pymgate Farm which was a township consisting of hamlets which today are part of Gatley and Heald Green and was absorbed into Stockport in 1894. Actual original document was sold on ebay on 20th Feb 2013-hope you managed to get it!

Re Joseph Milne, he put himself forward as a candidate in the Municipal elections in Manchester in 1873 and Henry Gee Sutton was one of a number of people who supported his nomination for the St Anne's ward, in a letter to the Manchester Evening News on 27th September 1873. If my memory serves me correctly St Anne's church is just off King St where HGS appears to have worked or lived in 1880.

Re could an officer in the militia be an officer in the Volunteers ? - not sure but I think each volunteer battalion did have a small permanent staff of officers and NCOs. Could he have been one of these?

Happy hunting.
Best wishes.
Bob B

Offline sphinx

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
Thanks Bob,

I can do a but more now that you have found him in the cencus, well done.

I saw the sueing LG article and assumed its just some legal wrangle he was involved in as a solicitor.  I didnt have an interest in him when the ebay docs sold, so I dont have them.

I am still unsure as to the 2nd Lancs Militis commission and the 40th Lancs RVC commission at the same time.  he was a working solicitort so not likely to be permanent staff.

regards

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »
Sphinx,
Good point - definitely unlikely to be permanent staff when working as a solicitor!
I hope he settled his case as to go bankrupt would have ended his career in 1880!
It's definitely him being sued - Cronshaw V Sutton 1879. I note that the LG entry states "formerly of King Street" so may be he was no longer a solicitor by this stage?
Already on his way down the social ladder perhaps ?
Bob B

Offline sphinx

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
Bob,

That is a good point.
If I could tie in him leaving the command of the 40th around the same time, then you might well be correct.

Regards