Author Topic: Canada/Manchester link  (Read 6299 times)

Offline pierce09

Canada/Manchester link
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »
Just read the post about the men who went to the Canadian infantry in 1907 and i've just found a member of my family (great great uncle) who served with the 3rd Bttn Manchesters, attesting in 1914 before being med discharged (after only 18 days on the front line with the 2nd Bttn).
However, in his service papers, it says he had previous service in the Canadian infantry for 3 years and the Manchesters for a year previous to that. it also says he married in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Is there a list of the men who made this transfer to the CAF?

can anyone shed any further light on this relative?

Pte Viner John 2658 3rd Bttn Manchester Regt

timberman

Re: Canada/Manchester link
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »
Hi

This link may be of interest

http://theroyalcanadianregiment.ca/history/1900-1914/manchester_draft1.html

They may be able to help with a list I know they were putting one together.

Also there is some information on the 150 men that went to Canada
on the forum.

Timberman

Offline pierce09

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »
thank you timberman, much appreciated

Rhys

Offline pierce09

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:16:09 AM »
Has anyone got any photos or lists of men who transferred to the RCR? i've emailed the regiment but have yet to receive a reply and i'm stumped to think of how to find any further information

Rhys

Offline Dave1212

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »
Contact Michael O'Leary at the following site - he might be able to assist you in your search:

http://regimentalrogue.com/

Offline pierce09

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »
thank you dave
 :)

Offline pierce09

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
received this email from Capt O'Leary today. i'm a very chuffed researcher now and do love the help everyone has given me. this really isn't easy trying to collate this from Vegas but a huge thanks to everyone that has helped.

Good morning Cpl Davies,

As luck would have it, I happen to have transcribed the details of the Manchester Draft enlistments from the regimental ledger in which they are recorded before our Museum put everything in storage prior to renovations. John Viner was certainly a soldier of the Manchester Draft, and I have following details on him:

Regt No - 9175
Surname - Vines
Given Names - John
Attestation Date - 12 Jan 1907
Attestation Age (years) - 19
Attestation Place - Ashton Under Lyne
Trade - Labourer
Birthplace - Birmingham, England
Discharge - Date - 11 Jan 1910
Discharge - Place - Halifax, NS
Discharge - Cause - Time Expired
Rank - Pte
Character - Very Good
Viners most likely remained in Halifax throughout the three years of his service in Canada. The majority of The Royal Canadian Regiment was stationed there during that period, with four Companies in separate stations.  Sine The RCR consisted of a single battalion, Your reference to "A Coy, 3rd Battalion" is most likely from his Manchester Regiment service.

Unfortunately, individual service records from that era were not maintained as we know them from the World Wars or today, and these notes are likely the only record the Regiment would have on John Vines' service in Canada.

I wish you luck with your ongoing research.

Michael O'Leary
Captain; The RCR

My query about his company was down to John Viner being married in Nova Scotia, his discharge being carried out there and in the section on the Manchester Draft, people still in Canada were with A coy in Nova Scotia. a bit of guess work but i shall have to dig a little deeper!!

Nearly got the entire WW1 Manchester Regt Family history finished. just need to get posted home and visit the museum soon to see if they have anything.

Thanks again to all who've helped me

Rhys

Offline pierce09

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »
 Micheal has also sent a picture of an ex Manchester who joined the RCR, Sergeant George Webb, who remained with The RCR through the First World War. George is on the right in the attached photo, wearing his service dress with the regimental badge and the unit shoulder flashes.

Offline Dave1212

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »
Very happy to read that Micheal was able to help in your search. Located a wedding date for John Viner of November 16, 1909 at the following site:

https://novascotiagenealogy.com/

It shows him as being born in Birmingham, England age 25 & a soldier in the RCR (parents Charles & Eliza). His bride Mary Maynard is 28 also from England (I can't read the location). Is this your man?

The site is fairly easy to navigate. Type in the surname, scroll down to accept terms & conditions, click on 'Marriages' & select 'view' to see the record. Let me know should you experience any difficulties.

Dave

Offline pierce09

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »
that is the very same John Viner. i knew he was married out there but could't find a record so thank you Dave!!!