Author Topic: Thomas Walsh - Manchester Regiment  (Read 4392 times)

Offline iain

Thomas Walsh - Manchester Regiment
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
Hi all

I am trying to find information relating to my Great Grand Uncle Thomas Walsh. I have little information about him only what my Grandmother told me some time back.
The story is that Thomas was a gym instructor in the Manchester Regiment before the start of WW1. He ended up being commissioned and acted as an interprator in Bruges and Ypres during the war for the Chinese army.
He was born 16 June 1877.
Below are two pictures of him, the first I assume when he was in the Manchester Regiment and the second when he was a commissioned officer.
Can anybody shed any further light upon him and his military history?

Iain
Iain

Researching Oldham Volunteers from 1798 to 1908 including 6th Volunteer Battalion Manchester Regiment

Offline sphinx

Re: Thomas Walsh - Manchester Regiment
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »
Iain,

I can tell you that in the first photo he is in a Territorial Battalion.

In the second photo he is badges to the General List, which would fit if he was an interpreter.  He is also wearing a medal ribbon which he does not have in the first photograph, so it would almost certainly be the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal.

Offline grimmy

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:07:47 AM »
Iain,

Just out of interest - could you tell us where he was born? I have Walsh ancestors from the Bolton area.
The flowers left thick at nightfall in the wood
This Eastertide call into mind the men,
Now far from home, who, with their sweethearts, should
Have gathered them and will do never again.

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
It would have been the Chinese Labour Corps (CLC). For research you should try getting his service file first from the National Archives (Kew)

Here are two files for a T.Walsh. you should also have a look in the Army Lists for him.

WO 374/71561   WALSH, 2/Lieut T   1914-1919

WO 339/123547   WALSH T   [1914-1922]

The CLC were still in France in the early 1920, Thomas may have got a commission in the late /early 1918,1919,1920s

Do you have any army numbers for him.

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
There is a book (With The Chinks) by 2nd Lt Daryl Klein who was an officer with the Chinese Labour Corps, the book should give you some insight.

Offline iain

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
Hi all

Many thanks for your helpful posts it has given me some avenues of research. Thomas was born in Blackburn if that helps.
Unfortunately I do not have any service numbers for him, but I will check out the NA and Army lists to see what I can unearth.

Many thanks , Iain
Iain

Researching Oldham Volunteers from 1798 to 1908 including 6th Volunteer Battalion Manchester Regiment

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
Morning Ian,
Apologies in getting back you , at the moment I am investigating four possibles for 1878 in Darwen/Blackburn - all born within 1878. Will be back to you in a short while hopefully with a bit more definite info.
George.,

Offline iain

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »
I have found a couple more photos of Thomas, one of them he is a corporal and I would say Manchester Regiment but the second he is a Sergeant in a different regiment and I am not sure what the badges on his arms signify. Anyone help?

Iain

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
Ian,
The one I looked closely at was Thomas Walsh, it seems that he was a Joiner/Journeyman, married one Rose Gertrude and had a daughter Nellie born 1903, all living in Blackburn at 1911.
I also came across a Thomas Walsh, No. 17521 whom it would appear joined the 20th Service Bn The Manchester Regiment - his details show him to be in "E" Company, Platoon XIX under one Lieut. R.L. Hartley.
Now whether or not this is the same person I cannot be sure!!
T. Walsh was a quite common name in that area of Lancashire.
Maybe some one else can enlarge on this information along with the details of the photographer and possibly more - who knows. I am going to try and give CLC also
Cheers for now,
George.

Offline sphinx

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
Iain,

His trade is an Armourer, but I cant make out out the cap badge I am afraid.

regards

Offline iain

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »
Hi George

Thomas married Lily Wright, I am not sure in which year, and they did not have any children. Before the war he was a weaver in Blackburn. Many thanks for your help.

Iain
Iain

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »
Not too worry - that leaves me with several weavers to recheck.  ;D ;D
George.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »
Sod's Law - the one I am checking as a good possibility - goes absent 1911 - he was there 1901, s/o Benjamin Wdr. (b. 1852) but no sign of him 1911??
Lets see if I can find Benjamin himself elsewhere.
Coming back to you.
George.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
Found Benjamin - he remarried December 1901 to a Catherine aged 57- but that still doesn't help us with Thomas, still no sign after 1901 - will recheck the military angle again.
George.

Offline Bryansitch

• Curator at Manchester Museum researching contacts
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 03:29:56 PM »
Iain,
Manchester Museum has the umbrella that your great great uncle presented in 1919. We would like to make this one of the exhibits in our new China gallery opening in 2021. We would love to talk to you about reproducing photographs of Thomas Walsh in the exhibition. Perhaps you could contact me at the Manchester Museum?
Many thanks,
Bryan Sitch
Deputy Head of Collections
Manchester Museum
P.S. We also have a scan of a newspaper cutting when Thomas Walsh was appointed Provincial Grand Master of the Independent Order of Oddfellows (Manchester Unity) dated 1951.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:27:46 PM by Bryansitch »