Author Topic: Place of Birth ('Lasses') (or similar Salford. Name which appears on 1901 Census  (Read 6063 times)

alan8376

On checking the  birthday place of my grandfather in Salford who served in 23rd/8 Batt, it is listed as 'Lasses' or 'Lanes'or similar in Salford area. Many people listed in Percy St named on the census were born at this place/location. Can anyone enlighten me please as to what this name means?

Alan

After Note: I believe the word I am seeking could be 'Lancs.'
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:25:02 PM by alan8376 »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
alan.
have you applied for your grandfathers service record,it will still be with the MOD at kentigern house

mack ;D

alan8376

Mack,

I  had a look at the site which lists how to apply for records. I believe I need to get a copy of his Death Cert! He died in 1979, I think still I need a copy? Must talk to Mum if she has a copy.

I note the application form only requests 'last' Service No.  Would it be advisable to include ALL the Regiments Service No's he has served with?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:32:49 AM by alan8376 »

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
Without having seen the actual census the details would read " Salford, Lancs" ...i.e. Salford, Lancashire
Cheers.
George.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
all you need is this army number 7177990 which was his last number along with the death certificate

mack ;D

alan8376

Mack, Thanks for the info about applying for records.

George, Here is the census to view the question I posted re: 'Lasses' entry for Salford.

~ Census .jpg removed, by Moderator.  Copyright infringement.

Although my Grandfather's name is WALSH, the census lists him as a WELSH!  I don't know how the family corrected this in later life, as I believe it only raised it's head when he applied for his pension.  It is highly possible that the Birth Certificate was also completed incorrectly!!!  Of course in those days, one did not need a Birth Cert to join the Army...

Alan
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:40:27 AM by Wendi »

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
Alan, it is Lancs, Salford.  The entries have the county and towns in reverse, you can see that with Cheshire, Runcorn.  Cheshire, Crew and Staffs, Bonsall.
Cliff
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:05:59 PM by rafboy »
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

alan8376

Cliff,
Yep, It is a case of not being able to see the 'wood for the trees' in my case!

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Hi Alan

Sorry, I had to remove your census picture.  It infringes the copyright under which you obtained it, together with your Ancestry membership.

With regard to his death certificate, it is easy enough to order a copy online, via this link http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

alan8376

Wendi,
Thanks for pointing out the copyright infringement. 

Does a photo copy of a Death Cert infringe copyright as well when ordering  a Service Record???

Alan

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
No Alan it does not  ;D  you are using it for personal use.

Copyright is infringed (in general) when a document owned by someone is made available to the general public without the permission of the owner.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline grimmy

Although my Grandfather's name is WALSH, the census lists him as a WELSH!  I don't know how the family corrected this in later life, as I believe it only raised it's head when he applied for his pension.  

Alan - I have Walsh ancestors from Bolton. I have found their surname spelt as WALSH, WALCH, WELSH and WELCH.
The flowers left thick at nightfall in the wood
This Eastertide call into mind the men,
Now far from home, who, with their sweethearts, should
Have gathered them and will do never again.