Author Topic: Ambrose O'Gara  (Read 7495 times)

petermc

Ambrose O'Gara
« on: November 12, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
Dear Friends!

In the past you gave me great assistance with my research into my mother's Uncle, Francis O'Gara who was wounded in Galipolli, and died and is buried in Alexandria, Egypt.

This time my question is about Francis's father Ambrose O'Gara.

Today, I took advantage of "ancestry's" free access on Rememberance weekend to WW1 military records.

There i found (to my great surprise) an entry for Ambrose as follows:

Ambrose O'Gara
Estimated year of birth: 1863
Age at enlistment: 53 years 9 months!!!
Regimental Number: 220899
Regimental name: Royal Engineers Construction Companies.

Have you ever served in the military:
yes, 3rd Manchester Regiment - 9 years, discharged 1891

Dated 13 Dec 1916.
Under this is a section dated Jan 2nd 1917, Place: Borodon, and some unclear reference to (D.G.?Railway

I also have the medal card for him with entries for the Victory and British medals - Roll R.E/103 B11 page 2430

Does anyone have any infornmation or Ideas, especially vis-a-vis his service in the 1880's in the 3rd Manchesters.

Many Thanks    Pete

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Ambrose O'Gara
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
Place: Borodon,

It's BORDON Pete, an Army Base near Aldershot, in Hampshire.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
the unit he was serving in was the 302nd company RE,this unit was a road construction coy

mack ;D

petermc

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »
Thanks Wendi & Mack  :)

Were the authorities so short of men that they started taking on "oldies". I had visions of him signing up as a reaction to his son's death, to do his bit, however limited!

And what about the "9 years" with The 3rd - does that make sense?

Cheers!

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »
Hi Peter

I would be interested to see if Mack agrees, but my guess would be that he was a "skilled labourer" and therefore experienced, his knowledge would have been to great advantage.  This therefore may have been why he was enlisted at such an age.  Interesting that he was enlisted in Bordon.  Perhaps he was headhunted and sent there specially.

Just a couple of things of interest he could not write (had never been taught to) and upon being demobbed obtained a pension, which must have been very valuable to him in later years.

With regard to The 3rd, no it does not make complete sense  :-\

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »
hiya pete.
its exactly how wendi has put it,he worked for manchester corporation,and his knowledge of road mending is invaluable,most of the RE construction coys are basically civilians in uniform,its their skills as joiners,bricklayers,plumbers etc that they need,age isnt a problem as long as they are fit enough,they would only be doing the same job they did in their civilian life,except its in uniform.

mack ;D

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
Peter.

He was old enough to have completed nine years service, as a young man, with the 3rd Militia Battalion of the Manchester Regiment.  There was no active service involved during that period but he would have  had to carry out annual training etc - based at the Barracks in Ashton-under-Lyne.

Robert
Robert

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
He Joined up 10th Jan 1883, 5 pages on FMP

petermc

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the brilliant (as always) help.

Amazing that he "signed" by making his mark. His wife Eliza (Elizabeth Fleming, who was a cousin of the boxing manager Harry Fleming) also "signed" with a mark on the birth certificate of my Grandmother. Ambrose, who married Eliza in 1890, was, as you saw, discharged in 1891. His son's John Patrick and Francis were born in 1892 and 1894 respectively, although weirdly I find no record of their birth in the BMD indexes. This week i found a reference to a Francis O'Gara in the Manchester workhouse. Don't know if he"s mine (although iadmit, rather stupidly, that i hope it isn't). I'll try to make more enquiries.

I had hoped to visit Alexandria in Egypt some time to visit Francis's grave, but recent events in these parts have put that plan on the back-burner for now

Once again - many thanks, and have a great weekend - Pete

Migky.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »
This week i found a reference to a Francis O'Gara in the Manchester workhouse. Don't know if he"s mine (although iadmit, rather stupidly, that i hope it isn't). I'll try to make more enquiries.

Few bits & bobs that might help with your family research?

I think the Francis O'Gara in the workhouse  could possibly be in the hospital part of the workhouse?
Shows mother as Mary O'Gara.
An Ambrose O'Gara married a Mary Flynn 1855 at the Manchester Cathedral ( Common for R.C.'s to marry back then there)
These are the parents of your Ambrose O'Gara.
There is a family grave in Southern cemetery for the O'Gara family. these are what details i could find on them, but there are many O'Gara/Flynn/Fleming families buried in Southern cemetery.

Southern cemetery, Roman catholic section, grave NO H 835.

Francis O'Gara died age 39
Trade: Labour
What looks like, residing at 55 L or Camp street Manchester
Buried 29th Oct 1898

Mary O'Gara died age 64  
Residing at 5 Billington street, Chorlton - on - Medlock
Buried 8th April 1899

Mr. Michael O'Gara died age 22
Trade: Hawker
Buried 25th Oct 1899

Ambrose O'Gara died age 72
Buried 23rd June 1900

Inanother of the O'Gara grave i had a quick look at:
John Patrick O'Gara buried together, john buried 24 Nov 1939.

The only O'Gara i could find on the 1918 absent voters register for Chorlton - on - Medlock and not sure he is one of yours?

@ 5 Field Place.
John O'Gara  
Private 18785  Royal Defence corps.
Frederick Hughes
Stg  2145 2/9 Manchester regiment

Migky  ;)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:23:33 PM by Migky. »

petermc

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
Firstly,  I need to apologize, for I somehow managed to miss this last reply by six months!!! not sure how that happened?!

I arrived back here as a result of my mother's current visit here. She came over for my son's Bar Mitzvah. I bet there are not many kids called McNally who have one of those! Our conversation turned to my mum's uncle, our aforementioned Francis O'Gara. We had a real Eureka moment when we discovered at long  lost a photo of Francis's grave in Alexandria. My mum cried when she saw it.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=1eaf2ceb3b&view=att&th=137ec69af8769c9b&attid=0.2&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&authuser=0&sadnir=1&saduie=AG9B_P-iQmCpuyQS1uLCKCaH7g-7&sadet=1340046576950&sads=8sNe4JaVCTOdmJ-WPK0S9rDmVwU

Sorry i don't know how to show the photo, hence the link.

Anyway - Migky, your post supplied me with lots of fantastic, and to me, unknown info, which I am still working my way through - for which please accept my grateful thanks.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
Oh Pete what lovely celebrations in your family.  It makes the whole thing worth it for us.