Author Topic: Help needed for ww1 army records  (Read 7147 times)

jackie

Help needed for ww1 army records
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »
Dear all,
I can find my relative through no other method than through his army records. I have no age or D.O.B for him, but I do know that he was supposed to have been injured in the battle of the Somme (but it may not have been that battle). On his wifes death cert in 1919 he is down as an army pensioner.

I'm not sure if he was in the Manchesters regiment but he lived in Lower Albion street in 1919 which is down as sub-district of East Manchester. My family thought he may have been in the Cross Lane Barracks off Broad Street.

I am living in Ireland so I cannot go to any library to check anything. Is it possible for me to look at any records on-line. Also the absent voters list for 1918 can that be seen on-line? I cannot use the National Archives website I find it too cumbersome, confusing, or I'm just a computer illiterate. I just can't navigate it.

Can anyone give me some advice please.

Offline tonyrod

Re: Help needed for ww1 army records
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:23:56 PM »
hi jackie, it would help if you put his name on your post then we have something to start with.tony

jackie

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:35:23 PM »
Ok thanks Tony

Patrick O'Neill, yes I know it's not arbuckle or something, I'd have found him by now if he was.

Thanks Jackie

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
hi jackie, found 14 PATRICK O'NEILL'S IN LANCASHIRE REGIMENTS
4 DIED  CWGC ,SO  WE HAVE ,
18181 MANCHESTER REG
26504 MANCHESTER REG
11274 L N LANCS REG
21809  S LANCS REG
241917 S LANCS REG
CPL 241338 S LANCS                                                                           
9408  E LANCS REG
28765  CHESHIRE REG
42234  LANCS FUS
19159 KINGS L/POOL REG
this is out off a total of  151 patrick o'neill's i have found only 1 p  o'neill  IN
THE LANCS FUS  9034 THEN 35001 LEINSTER REG, ITS A STARTING POINT

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »
JACKIE ,WHAT WAS THE WIFES NAME ON DEATH CERT? TONY

jackie

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
Hi Tony
Sorry I took so long to get back.

Patrick's wife of course was called Mary.

Mary O'Neill.

Thanks Jackie

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »
unless we can get a definite hit on the AVLs, it's almost impossible to identify which Patrick O'Neill we are looking for...........
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

jackie

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »
Harribobs

What's an AVL? If I paid the £3 to view what would I see? Will I see more info than on the search, ie more than just the regiment and rank, which frankly is meaningless to me.  Would I see an address? His injuries, date of discharge?

I would pay to view some of the more likely ones if I thought there were benefits to it.

Any further advice much appreciated.

Jackie

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
avl is the absent voter list, we will look at it to see if we can find him, that may give us our next clue
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »
Hi Jackie !

With regard to the £3 to view, I think you may be referring to The Medal Index Cards (MIC) available from The National Archives at £3.50 per sheet of 6.

These are only useful once you have ascertained his service number (assuming that he served abroad) They do not have addresses on the side that TNA have scanned  :-\

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
If he was out of the army in 1919 and was possibly injured on the Somme then he might have been discharged prior to the end of the war and therefore might not appear on an AVL. If he was in the services at the beginning of the war, however, his details (name, rank, number, unit,address, wife and dependants) should appear in the SSFA registers. I've only ever consulted these for 1914 and am unsure if they were made for later years, but they are a goldmine of info.

Dave.