Author Topic: 1st Manchester Rifle Volunteer  (Read 42896 times)

johnno

1st Manchester Rifle Volunteer
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Hello Chaps.
      I have recently come into possession of a metal cup presented to a Volunteer in the Manchester Rifle volunteers. the inscription reads "1st Manchester volunteer rifles, 1872, Fourth place,  Presented by Capt. Lucas To Pte Bedale, for attendance at drill". 
After reading a previous post on the Manchester Volunteers I realise the records for these units and what they got up to are sparse but if anyone can provide any more information I would be Grateful.
Thanks Chaps.

timberman

Re: 1st Manchester Rifle Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »
Hi johnno
The following article is on the link below. May not answer your question but does give a good back ground to The Rifle Volunteer Movement

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/mom/history/riflevolunteer

The Development of The Rifle Volunteer Movement in Manchester
“The following article appeared in the Autumn 2008 (Vol. 86, No. 347) edition of the ‘Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research’ and is hereby reproduced with kind permission of the Journal and the author, Captain Robert Bonner”.

Captain Robert Bonner is a mod on this forum.

Timberman

sphinx

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:52:24 PM »
Johnno,

The 6th Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps (1st Manchester) were raised in 1859 and eventually became the 2nd Volunteer Bn. The Manchester Regiment in 1888.

They were prolific in presenting cups, silver plates, money, and medals for all kind of activities particularly shooting.

These also included drill, signalling, first aid, and a variety of sports events.

I have several cups and medals similar to this to the Lancashire RVC/Vol.Bn's of the Manchesters.

Some are hallmarked and are worth the most and the white metal ones obviously worth far less.

I would love to see a photo if possible.

regards

johnno

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
Thanks for your help Chaps. Here are a couple of pics. kind regards.

timberman

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
Hi johnno

Thanks for posting the photos

Timberman

JC

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
That's brilliant! Where on earth did you pick that up? You been scouring bins again uncle?!  ;D