Author Topic: Thomas Barclay Broomhall - Private  (Read 10298 times)

MBrockway

Re: Thomas Barclay Broomhall - Private
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 01:28:26 PM »
Pals,
I have copied this text from a Post I made yesterday on the GWF in case you all miss it.

I think this is in fact Lathom Park rather than Larthom Park

Lathom Park is the grounds of the stately home Lathom Hall about 1 mile NW of Skelmersdale, Lancs. (Grid Reference SD 459 092).

The original house was destroyed by order of Parliament after the Civil War and the later 18th Century residence of the Earls of Lathom was commandeered during the First World War as a depot and garrison and badly damaged. After the war the Earl moved to nearby Blythe Hall. After standing empty for several years the greater part of the house was demolished in 1925, only the West Wing - the Stable Block - remains and this has recently been converted into luxury apartments.

The 400-acre park, situated off Hall Lane, was the site of the Ormskirk Army Remount Depot, an army training ground for horses, during the 1914-18 war. It even had a dedicated railway branch line spur.

It was run by the 48th Remount Squadron, ASC.

Of course Skelmersdale didn't exist then, hence "Ormskirk".

Here's a link to find it: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=lathom+park&sll=54.162434,-3.647461&sspn=12.061421,29.619141&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=53.576276,-2.807522&spn=0.011925,0.028925&z=15&iwloc=addr
Cheers,
Mark

MBrockway

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
Of course, this might mean Thomas was transferred to the ASC Remount Service from the Manchesters?

Without an MIC or medal roll entries, we wouldn't easily pick this up.  :(
Cheers,
Mark

MBrockway

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 08:04:18 PM »
More info that I have posted on the GWF ...

I've zoomed in on the picture of Pte Broomhall on the horse - see attachment.

Do those look like a wound stripe and a good conduct stripe?

Is there also a hint of another badge a little higher up the sleeve? Maybe crossed rifles?

If it is a wound stripe, that would suggest he did see some Action overseas - presumably Wound stripes were only awarded to injuries received at the hands of the enemy?

If he was Overseas, then we back with the conundrum about the missing MIC.  ???

Cheers,
Mark

MBrockway

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 08:08:13 PM »
Here's some further info from The Long, Long Trail on the ASC Remounts Service
http://www.1914-1918.net/remounts.html

It actually hangs off the ASC page harribobs linked to above, but didn't want you all to miss it. ;)
Cheers,
Mark

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 09:56:23 PM »

and if the earlier picture was 1924, why isn't he wearing the stripes then?  ???
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

wendy

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 10:56:58 PM »
hey Chris,

Just got email back from the veterans site you gave me & unfortunately they are 'unable to help in the research of information of WW1 veterans'.  They gave me 3 other websites, 2 of which i've already had a look at with no joy.  The other one I managed to confirm what I already kinda new in that he died in 1967 in New Zealand.

Got to go out for a bit so will add to this & the other posts later...

Cheers, Wendy

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 09:21:06 AM »
and if the earlier picture was 1924, why isn't he wearing the stripes then?  ???

Perhaps they are not the same chap after all ??? 

Wound Stripes were only issued for an "injury caused by or arising from the enemy"

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 09:46:33 AM »
hey Chris,

Just got email back from the veterans site you gave me & unfortunately they are 'unable to help in the research of information of WW1 veterans'.  They gave me 3 other websites, 2 of which i've already had a look at with no joy.  The other one I managed to confirm what I already kinda new in that he died in 1967 in New Zealand.

did you specify that he served after 1922?  if you just said WW1 vet, they wouldn't be interested or able to help
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

MBrockway

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 10:28:23 AM »

I'll do some digging later in the day to see when Lathom Park Remounts Depot closed down.

That might help us pin this down more ... or maybe not  ;)
Cheers,
Mark