Author Topic: Sydney Dickinson - Military Medal for Gallantry  (Read 3657 times)

andy883

Sydney Dickinson - Military Medal for Gallantry
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
Hi all and hello

My name is Andrew Dickinson and I've been tracing my ancestors over the last few months and I've come across Sydney Dickinson (1892) my great grand Uncle. It turns out Sydney was quite a flamboyant character who had an eye for the gentlemen rather than the ladies thus leaving myself as his most direct descendent, his last know location was manager of M & S in Newcastle in the 50's.
I've come across his service records for WW1 which says he enlisted with the Manchesters on 01/09/1914 and was placed in the first City Battalion with Regiment No 610, the file also contains further information one of which is awards saying on the 23/04/1917 he was awarded the Military Medal for Gallantry for distinguished conduct in the field and that this was mentioned in the London Gazzette. I was wondering if there is any way to find out more about this action and where it took place, any help would be most grateful.

Also I believe is brother, my great grandfather Harry Dickinson may have joined the Manchesters but I can find no information relating to him, though I did come across a Harry Dickinson 14th Battalion but this is not him.

Many Thanks Andy

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
Re: Sydney Dickinson - Military Medal for Gallantry
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »
Hi Andy

Do you have a copy of his medal index card or were do you get your info from.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »
Hi Andy and a Warm Welcome to our Forum  ;D

Just to confuse issues his MIC that themonsstar is looking for is made in the name of Sydney Dickenson and his number was changed from 610 to 6735.

I can find his relinquishing of commission at http://www.london-gazette.co.uk under that spelling, but not his MM however it is notoriously difficult to search  ::)

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

andy883

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »
Thanks, got the information from Ancestry.co.uk - British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1918, shows on this as definitely Sydney Dickinson, comes up with 14 images which I believe I can't post due to copyright. Also gives correct next of kin for family members, don't think I'm reading the images wrong but you never know. His details are born abt 1892 St Pauls parish, Preston and his occupation as salesman.

cheers andy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:30:21 PM by andy883 »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
Andy !  Ancestry also have his MIC search for Sydney Dickenson with the regimental number 6735 it makes interesting reading with addresses you may recognise on page 2

Wendi  ;)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

andy883

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 06:09:17 PM »
Wow, the sevice numbers are the same, had no idea he re-enlisted into the RAF, the old boy did get around.

Sorry forgot to say thanks Wendi
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:53:05 PM by andy883 »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »
His RAF number is different also, so make sure you check out very detail on Ancestry, you may even find his photo if he was a pilot !!!

Keep banging on about the MM as there maybe something detailed.

Wendi  :)

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »
Andy, He is on this photograph somewhere (but we don't know where)

http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=4672.0

(click on photo to enlarge)

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

andy883

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »
Thanks Wendi and Kingo

His RAF No on the medals rolls index card is 345720 and on the British Army service records looks to be 345720 but not quite certain on the 2 digit, can't make the date as well, has a date of 1921 by the side but not sure if it relates to the re-enlistment. Curious how his name is spelt with an E instead of I, the E is the posh version and from what I've heard about him would not be surprised if this was the case, my gran used to do the same.

Any chance of getting a higher res photo, my parents met him a number of times and might be able to pick him out.

Also anybody any idea where he might of won the MM?

cheers andy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:37:54 PM by andy883 »

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:27:02 PM »
At 4.45am on the 23rd April 1917, 16th Battalion, as part of the 90th Brigade, commenced its attack on the German positions at Cherisy, east of Heninel. By the time they were releived 4 days later, they had suffered large casualties and numbered less than 100 all ranks. His MM was awarded for his gallantry during this time.

andy883

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
Cheers Kingo

The more I find out about the guy the more amazed I become, when my father last met him he was in his 60's shacked with a guy 30, certainly lived an eventful life.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:38:25 PM by andy883 »

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
Confirmation from the War Diary of his award; (Click to enlarge)

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »
From the official history;

andy883

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
Fantastic Kingo, thanks very much for all your help.

cheers andy