Author Topic: Andrew Quinn Manchester Regiment  (Read 2985 times)

OG

Andrew Quinn Manchester Regiment
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »
Hi all, my first post so please be gentle...

My late Granfather was is in the Manchester Regiment in WW2, all he ever said is that he was based at Carlisle. I do not know if he served overseas and he would never be drawn further on the subject. His DOB 25.12.1916.  I have tried to find out more info but seem to be hitting a brick wall.. any ideas? He arrived from Ireland in 1936 and lived in the Salford area...thanks for any help you can provide. OG

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Andrew Quinn Manchester Regiment
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
Hi OG and a Warm Welcome to our forum  ;D

Probably your best way forward will cost you £30  :-\ 2nd World War service records are available to the next of kin, but not available to the general public, so it's probably the only way to find out more, it's quite easy to apply, but can take a while (6 to 9 months) to acutally receive them, but often they are well worth the wait !

For "how to" Click Here

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

OG

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »
Thanks Wendi, £30... robbing buggers!!  ;D

I will wait and see if any one out there can throw light on the Carlisle bit before I blow the housekeeping...

thanks again

OG

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
I don't think that you will get much out of the Carlisle connection. No battalions of the Manchester Regiment were based in Carlisle although there was a strong military garrison stationed there during the war and afterwards.  He could have been badged Manchester but attached to some other unit or headquarters.  Wendi's advice is best for you.
Robert