Author Topic: Alan Bowden  (Read 3744 times)

Bowie

Alan Bowden
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »
Hello all I posted in the hello section and thougfht I would ask for any help or added info here. My fathers name is Alan Bowden he served with the rgiment and enlisted in 18/6/53 on the 11/11/53 went to FARELF Sing. Any one remember him? His service number was22880748 I know he boxed for the regiment at welterweight as I have many pics of him and also played footbal for the reg too >I have many small pics of time in Malaya on camp/excercise at the barracks and a couple around Penang. He also served after in Germany BAOR and Played football at the Olympic stadium against the german police? in front of a crowd 100,000? I would like to post some pics in the relevent sections if you would like to see them. many thanks. Peter

I also see it says in june 56 he was transfered to the Kings army reserve and then was discharged in !960 and was awarded GSM Clsap Malaya ( which I remember playing with) dont know what A.O. 58/50  means.  So was he in civilian life during his 4 years of reservist?

Offline george.theshed197

• Global Moderator
Re: Alan Bowden
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »
Good morning Bowie and welcome to the Forum,
Yes your father would have done his reserve service from 1956 as a civilian, more than likely attached to the Territorial Battalion (either the 8th at Ardwick or the 9th at Ashton).
I do not recall him whatsoever, when I first saw your Hello I was thinking in terms of the two other Bowden/Boden's (W.H (Bill) and Dennis) I knew that were also serving with the Battalion in Malaya, Berlin and Minden which is where we were based when your father left the unit in June 1956.
Have you any idea which company he served with?
Let us see some of your photographs at some time please.
Cheers.
George.
PS. A.O. 58/50 is No. 58  of the many many Army Orders authorising some change that took place after that order was issued in 1950 - this could well have been associated with the extension of National Service by six months which was made because of the situations both in Korea and Malaya where the British Army was fighting at that time.

Bowie

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:17:32 PM »
Hi george and thank you for the reply. Most my info or the little bit I have is based on conversations way back as a boy and my memory as us all dosent get beter with age. I manged to dig up some pics though a few are miossing I know I have a couple rending the camp fire and one of a native women dressed in her garb of very little she had on. Funny enough there are only 3 Malayan photos with my dad Alan (Bowie) Bowden on but you may recognise some of the faces or anyone else. I will post the Berlin ones in the appropriate section and post a link

1 Boston photo studio.  274 prangin rd Penang
   Dad is second from the right

2 Looks like the ship over? dad is front left

3 at the swimming pool

4?

5?

6?

7?

Offline george.theshed197

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »
Thanks again for these,
I did post an entry on here about half an hour ago but it seems to have gone off into cyberspace. Minden Barracks I recognise - now part of the University of Malaya, but I cannot put any names to the faces of the others on these great photographs, the roundabout down near to the City Lights is no longer there, in fact very little of the Georgetown your father and I knew is still there, you have to go looking for it.
Cheers,
George.