Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 3676 times)

derek57

Help needed
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
Hi
The people on this site have helped me out tremendously before and I have another favour to ask; a friend of mine, for who I'm doing some family history reserach, has asked me to see try and trace his fathers' army details. He doesn't know anything at all about his army career as he died when my friend was young, so I only have his name which is David Rundel (not sure about this spelling) Pickering, he was born in 1900 in Manchester and died in 1945 again in Manchester (from TB, not anything to do with his army life). He has a photograph of him in uniform but cannot make out anything distinguishable like cap badges etc.

Could anyone give me any advice of where I should start searching.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Offline tonyrod

Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:45:02 AM »
hi david,
you have started searching here, ;D
for ww1 he would have been to young unless he signed up underage only one david pickering in the Manchester regiment in ww1,and 9 in other regiments
i think it would be a good idea if you posted the photo then others could help you out with the time period
 ww2 records  
 ,http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/ContactUs/ServiceRecordsEnquiries.htm

Medal card of Pickering, David
Corps   Regiment No   Rank
Manchester Regiment    58416    Private
Border Regiment    31402    Private
Date    1914-1920
Catalogue reference    WO 372/15l                          good luck tonyrod
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:07:24 AM by tonyrod »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
I only have his name which is David Rundel (not sure about this spelling) Pickering

You have spelt his name correctly, his birth was registered in the last quarter of 1900 in Manchester a brother to Joseph and Gwendoline and son to Joseph and Elizabeth living at 216 Cheltenham Street, on the 1901 Census.

WW2 service records are only available to next of kin via This Link

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

derek57

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:31:11 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the info, I've downloaded the relevant forms and shall pass them on, happy Christmas to all.