Author Topic: Territorials and Supernumerary Companies  (Read 3474 times)

slob

Territorials and Supernumerary Companies
« on: January 29, 2008, 10:14:14 PM »
I think I have, at last, put together my grandfather's story, for the 1st part of the war anyway.
As an ex  regular Manchester Rgt man he would have been in reserve.
He re-enlisted in 1914 in the S Lancs but was kicked out after 3 months for being unfit.
I believe he then went into a Protection Company,later Supernumery Company, and was sent to Scotland.
When conscription came in, he was called up into the R Sussex Rgt.

From what I can see, the Protection companies were attached to the Territorial battalions and he should have been put into one that was part of his previous regiment - would that be the Manchesters or the S Lancs, and are there any records for these?

None of this information was carried over onto his MIC.

Dave

slob

Re: Territorials and Supernumerary Companies
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:15:28 PM »
Further to my previous post, I found this from a coroners record, East Sussex
on the national archive site.

Thomas of 26 Worth Street, Rochdale Road, Manchester, corporal, 4th Supernumerary Company, 2/8th Manchester Regiment, stationed at Balcombe, 45; killed by a train; accidental death

Probably have to get the full report to find his name, but these people did die in service - are they recorded anywhere?
Interesting that he wasn't stationed at home, my grandad was in Scotland, which seemed odd, but obviously not .

Dave

slob

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:21:01 PM »
He was Thomas Burke, Cpl 1124, 8th Res Btn, died 12/06/1915.
There is a medal card for him.
Perhaps this gives some clues to how these companies fitted in.

Dave

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »
A second line battalion, the 2/8th, was formed by Lieut Colonel J C H Crosland at Ardwick in September 1914. Very little is known about their movements or activities but in November they moved to winter quarters in  Southport as part of 199 Brigade, 66 Division. In early 1915 the battalion moved to Crowborough, Cuckfield and Pease Pottage in Sussex where much of this time appears to have been employed in security duties on the railway system as there were several unfortunate fatal accidents.

Private Joseph Locklin of Wormill Street, Ashton New Road, Manchester had both feet amputated after being knocked down and run over by a goods train whilst patrolling the line at Three Bridges on 11 February 1915. Private Herbert James Taylor of 79 Warwick Street, Hulme, Manchester was accidentally crushed in the goods yard at Balcombe. Corporal Thomas Burke of 26 Worth Street, Rochdale Road, Manchester was killed when he was hit by a train.

In addition in February 1916 Sergeant Percy Martlelow of C Company died after being struck in the back by a splinter from an exploding grenade whilst involved in bomb practice.  In March 1916 the battalion moved to Colchester and on to France on 14 March 1917.
Robert

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
pte locklin was accepted by the CWGC as a non commemorated soldier,early last year,pte burke is still being considered.
chris harley,from the GWF was the one who submitted their names.
chris kindly sent me their death certs for our archives.

mack

slob

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 05:03:56 PM »
I am really trying to find out if my grandfather was in one of these companies, attached to a Manchester Territorial Rgt.

Are there lists available? Where any of them sent to Scotland?

Dave