Author Topic: New Member Requesting Information on Joseph Cotterill  (Read 2384 times)

pfoxcroft51

New Member Requesting Information on Joseph Cotterill
« on: October 30, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »
Hi.
I am researching Joseph Cotterill, who registered the birth of a son William Cotterill on 7 Nov 1895, born at Fulwood Barracks, Preston.   Joseph registered the birth, and his Rank or Profession was given as Sergeant, Manchester Regiment.   Joseph had other children born in Cork, Ireland and Aldershot between 1890-1905.   Army BMDs has Joseph's children listed under Regt. 63rd.   The 1911 Census shows Joseph as an Army Pensioner.

Is there any way I can find out the length of time Joseph served with the Manchester Regiment?

Many thanks.

Paul Foxcroft

Offline tonyrod

Re: New Member Requesting Information on Joseph Cotterill
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »
HI phil. and welcome to the forum,  i think you may need the national archives at kew, or  a visit to Museum of the Manchester Regiment History
its possable he was in the 4th battalion,
copied from, The 4th Battalion (1900-1906)

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/mom/history/4th

4th Battalion officers who served in the South African War,
Captains Terry, Toogood, and Crichton and Second Lieutenant Wickham were mentioned in dispatches; Captain Terry was promoted to a brevet majority.
On the 4 February 1902 headquarters and four companies moved from Kinsale to Cork, and here on the 31 July 1903 H.R.H. Field-Marshal the Duke of Connaught presented its first Colours to the battalion, while on the day following the battalion assisted
to line the streets on the occasion of His Majesty the King’s first visit to Cork since his accession. Lieutenant-Colonel Steele’s four years in command came to an end 1904 on the 24 February 1904, when he was succeeded by Lieutenant-Colonel C. C. Melvill.

On the 20 October 1905 the 4th Battalion, strength, 23 officers, 2 warrant officers, 527 other ranks, 50 women and 99 children left Ireland for Aldershot, and on arrival quartered in Corunna Barracks.

In the following year the order for disbandment was published, and the 4th Battalion was thereupon thus disposed of: To the 1st Battalion in India, 50 privates.
To the 2nd Battalion in Guernsey, 23 officers and 311 other ranks. To the Depot, 16 non-commissioned officers and men. To other Corps, 18 non-commissioned officers and men.
The Colours of both the 3rd and 4th Battalions of the Manchester Regiment are now in the Town Hall, Manchester.

hope this helps a little . tonyrod
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:40:16 AM by Wendi »

pfoxcroft51

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »
Very many thanks tonyrod, that was really helpfull.   On using the link you supplied I found that they moved from Aldershot to Portland, which is confirmed by the 1901 Census, where Joseph's wife and children are at the Citadel.

Paul Foxcroft

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:06:00 AM »
Hi Paul,

If you still visit the Forum, please have a look at this thread. http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=9791.msg66871#msg66871

It seems likely Joseph will receive official recognition as a Great War casualty by CWGC.  I suspect you are a family member and thought you should know - if the War Grave status is confirmed.

T
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/