Author Topic: AROUND ST QUENTIN  (Read 3456 times)

timberman

AROUND ST QUENTIN
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »
Site with information on Manchester Hill found by Kingo

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/st_quentin.htm

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: AROUND ST QUENTIN
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
The item on this comprehensive site relating to Manchester Hill will I feel sure be of help to visitors.  However Paul Reed's facts on the memorial which he refers to as the Manchester Pals Memorial are completely incorrect.  The WFA had nothing to do with its funding, erection or unveiling. 

This was entirely a regimental project in 1996 to commemorate the 2nd Manchesters, who in April 1917 created the name Manchester Hill, and the 16th Manchesters who fought their last stand there in March 1918.  The memorial does not commemorate any other battalions.

The author's comment that originally it was intended to place it on the hill itself is also complete nonsense. It was always intended to be in its present location outside the Mairie in Francilly Selency.

And, as a touch of personal sour grapes, no mention is made in his bibligraphy of the book Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC published in 1998.
Robert

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:32:49 AM »
Paul Reed has obviously got the wrong information there, i've not spoke to him for years now, i was wondering if themonsstar is still in touch with him and could give him a nudge towards correcting his site?

*nudges roy*  ;D
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:39:59 PM »
i have emailed Paul myself
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »
Harribobs.

Thanks for making the point with him. I discovered who he was and sent him a polite note about three weeks ago.  No response!! 
Robert