Author Topic: Sergeant Major Charles Smith Information  (Read 2869 times)

Jane S

Sergeant Major Charles Smith Information
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »
Hello, my name is Jane Hughes (nee Smith), and in researching my family roots, I have found that my great grandfather Charles Smith (b. 1847 in Norton Worcs.) was a soldier in 'D' Company 90th Light Infantry in 1878 at the time of his marriage.In 1885 he was a Sergeant Major 63rd Regimental District in Ashton U Lyne.He was presented with a "stick" in 1892 with the inscription "Sgt. Major C Smith, From Lt Col.Garland Matthews 1892 3rd Battalion Manchester Regiment ". I have a few old photos of him in uniform but would welcome suggestions as to where I can obtain further information on his service career and any other relevant details.

Many Thanks, Jane S.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Sergeant Major Charles Smith Information
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »
Hi Jane and a Warm Welcome to Our Forum  ;D

I have a feeling that your best information will come from The National Archives, but I have a feeling that you may have to make a personal visit  :-\ http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

His service record should survive there, but I don't think it's available online.  If you can not go yourself ( our researcher ) "our man at Kew" is themonsstar, who also is initiating a new researcher there this year, so perhaps can be of assistance to you ! ~ you could send him a Personal Message to inquire as to what is available and his fees.

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:19:58 PM »
Hi Jane

we would love to see the photos you have, we may well be able to get a little more info from them

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Jane S

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
Hello Chris,
i enclose the only two photos I have,trust they might lead to some further info.
Regards, Jane.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:17:24 PM »
Jane,
What splendid photographs of your great grandfather and an officer of the Manchesters.  Both are wearing the undress forage cap introduced in 1880. the officer is wearing a blue patrol jacket with Captains rank stars on his shoulder straps. In 1883 rank badges were changed and a Captain wore two stars;this was later changed to the three which are worn today.

Both have the Manchester badge of the Sphinx on their caps.  This came from the badge inherited from the 96th Regiment after amalgamation with the 63rd Regiment in 1881.

Difficult to tell from the photo whether the officer is of the Militia or a regular army man.  Militia officers wore the initial M below their badges of rank.

Many thanks for sharing them with us.

Robert