Author Topic: help from our lasses  (Read 17002 times)

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: help from our lasses
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »
Hi Dave

Certainly they are complete from 1890 to 1911.  Here you may be interested in this http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/progress.shtml

My girlie instinct tells me that for her to describe herself as Mrs. J. Creegan on CWGC when the boys are Warden makes me think she did marry him  :-\

Tony just for info as we are discussing it ~ there was no legal adoption in the UK until 1926.

Wendi  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:13:52 PM by Wendi »
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »
would it be safe to say that francis is the step brother of robert+william.

THAT's the one !!!  ;D
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
hi wendi,  thanks for info on adoption  never new that, but if that was the case why change the names?  until we find a record of the marriage we might never know.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 05:54:30 PM »
You'll find the name changes all over history tony.  Loads of instances in the Census where families have taken in ,what is described as a "nurse child", often these can be orphans, and when you look for them 10 years hence they have taken on the famioly name of their carers.

Just think the kind of "officialdom" we are used to has not been around for even 100 years  ;D

The point I'm trying to make is that until WW1 people were really laid back about it, and the spelling of their names too, as a lot of 'em could not spell anyway, why were they bothered about how it was spelt LOL

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
ok Wendi point taken, but one thing overlooked  William and Robert  both signed up   has  pte William warden 244926 asc driver
 and       cpl Robert warden 11037  lancs fus , telling me Francis and Jane were not married  so i rest my case. 8) just a little question on Francis  Creegan company sejeant major and warrant officer class2 at 24 would he have been a full time soldier?

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 06:43:43 PM »
 8) but I missed this somewhere ??? where did you get this info from ?
ok Wendi point taken,
  Sorry I am I doing it again?....I'm not having a "poke" at all !  Just passionate conversation  :-\ 

Over to mack for the last bit  ;)

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »
 HI WENDI, i have enjoyed every bit of this thread, and i know you was not having a poke, nor me, we started out knowing nothing of the warden's and creegan's and now we are all a little wiser,  ;D

slob

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »
There is no marriage on the LancashireBMD site either, and their coverage is, apparently, complete for Standish.
I don't think you can tell anything about the marital state from the stepchildrens names.
I have found children not taking the new father's name after marriage, I have found them taking the new father's name and then changing back to the biological father's name later.
My grandmother was given her mother's name at birth, and kept it when her parents married - as did her parents.
The whole family used that name for 20 years until the father died - then they all adopted his name !

Dave

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »
Dave your right about the surname thing !!

Tony, thanks mate, you can't believe how many times peeps take the 'ump! but I've found that I don't like to overlook a detail, so, did I miss something here ??>

but one thing overlooked  William and Robert  both signed up   has  pte William warden 244926 asc driver
 and       cpl Robert warden 11037  lancs fus ,

Or was it Mack, he has a way you know,  LOL  ;D

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »
you guys have done a great job of sorting this one out.
from what you say.
francis[frank]was a widower with a young son,mrs warden was a widow with 2 young sons,they formed a relationship/marriage,and the 2 warden boys took on franks surname,then reverted back to their birth name when they grew up.
you see,i was paying attention ;D.
what a sad life these people had.
francis lost his wife at an early age and mrs warden lost her hubby,and to cap it all,they lost all 3 of their sons in the war.

there were 3 other brothers from the adelphi lads club who all died in the war.
james,charles and george fraser all perished,james was killed on 22-8-18,george on 7-11-18,and charles on 28-4-17,but mr+mrs fraser didnt know that charles had been killed,he was listed as missing,his death wasnt confirmed till march 1918.

i can now type up the creegan/warden boys obits properly thanks to you guys

CSM. 10527 francis creegan
15th lancashire fusiliers
married to miss mary,elizabeth clowes.
lived 26 allendale st,salford
parents.francis+elizabeth
worked as a stereotyper at burton+rake
member of salford harriers
member of adelphi lads club
born.27-5-1892
age 24
father francis and stepmother janet.32 allendale st,salford.
april 1915,at school of musketry,altcar
previously served 4yrs in the TF before the war
killed in action 1-7-16.

L/cpl 11037 robert warden
15th lancashire fusiliers
D.coy.16th platoon.
machine gun section
born 27-9-1892,chorley
age 24
son of janet warden/creegan.32 allendale st,salford
worked,manchester education committee[plumbing dept]
died of wounds,12-7-16.

cpl 244926 william,edward warden
RASC,camel transport.[u coy]
age 22
born 27-1-1895
died 22-11-18
son of janet warden,32 allendale st,salford

mack

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 08:49:04 AM »
hi mack ,minor detail, csm Francis creecan  on his medal card finished up a warrant officer 2nd class,and mrs warden had 3 sons Albert [dyeing in June 1901
aged 10] ,