Author Topic: Joseph William Wright  (Read 3556 times)

peterharris

Joseph William Wright
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:26:18 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum, Hello.

This is my first posting in an effort to clear up a mystery that is begining to affect my sanity, you will understand why when I tell you the amount of info I do have on my soldier and yet the info I don't have on him is driving me nuts to explain: Joseph William Wright
I know he was born in 1895, Ardwick/ Hulme.1901 census Temperance St, Hulme. Joined up after embelishing his age in 1914, lost an arm and was de-mob 1918/9. There is an entry in the Great War Roll that would fit him perfectly, even down to loosing an arm, RFA, Patchet St, Hulme,.....BUT, I cannot confirm that is him or the medal card index I have is him, unless some kind soul can tell me and confirm, which regiment he enlisted with at the start of the war, hoping you can oblige me in this matter and save my sanity.

Many thanks in advance.

Peter.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Joseph William Wright
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:01:27 AM »
hello Peter

and welcome to the madhouse, you'll be fine here, pull up a couch  ;D

let's have a look at the medal card first and we'll see what we can come up with!

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:15:58 AM »
National roll entry

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

peterharris

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for the welcome, as you can see by your posting of the National roll entry, that may well be my man, however, I have medal index cards for several Joseph Wrights but only one matches up with the RFA, but I am informed that man rank and number was discharged after being "shot in the buttocks" well before the end of the war, I have also searched the pension records on Ancestry assuming Joseph would have applied for a pension, but no luck, so I visited the Central library in M/c to take a look through the 1918 missing voters list, hoping this would give me his address and Regiment but alas no luck, his medals should they still be in the possesion of a family member would have given the regiment up, but again they are lost, so over to you guy's.........no pressure.

Regards (and thanks) ;)

Peter.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »
Hi Peter and Welcome  ;)

Ancestry.co.uk often have free weeks advertized in national papers and magazines. 

I think it would be good if you had access to the pension and attestion papers yourself as
L
I know he was born in 1895, Ardwick/ Hulme.1901 census Temperance St, Hulme. Joined up after embellishing his age in 1914, lost an arm and was de-mob 1918/9.

If you don't have his birth certificate and he embelished his age you have more chance of spotting him as a pensioner than we do.

Do you have his birth certificate ?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

tisgrannie

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
Hi I just spent some time looking for his pension papers, no luck at all.
tisgrannie

peterharris

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:53:48 AM »
Hello to all,

Many thanks for the interest shown in my search for the regiment of Joseph William Wright, I feel it may well turn out to be the R.F.A, I feel a visit to Kew coming on, with ref to Ancestry Pen / Att records, he's not there, however I have it on good authority not all of these records are held by Ancestry, there are still some at Kew, he may be amoung them? Anyway, thanks again, as I live in the Tameside area and often spend time in the local cemetaries in relation to other searches, I would like to offer my services to anyone on this forum who made need a head stone checked out or photo taken, please don't hesitate.

Kind Regards,

Peter.  ;)