Author Topic: Military Headstones  (Read 11742 times)

Tel

Military Headstones
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »
Hi,
My father died in 1958 whilst still serving in the Manchester Regiment, the Army put a military headstone on his grave and I visited his grave after many years living out of the area to find the headstone had split and was in a very poor condition, my question is does anyone know if the M.O.D. replace military headstones or is it up to the remaining family members to do so.

Regards

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
Re: Military Headstones
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
The headstone is probably one erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.  You should write to Major Turner, TA Centre, Ardwick Green Manchester M12 6HD giving him all the details of who your father was, when and where he died and the condition of the headstone.  Major Turner looks after all Manchester Regiment queries of this nature and will advise you.
Robert

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission make a special effort to replace damaged military headstones.
The memorials are made from a special type of material and engraved in Normandy in France and shipped back to Britain, in a process which normally takes up to 18 months.
so it takes time, follow Roberts advice and get things moving they can only act when they know about it,
you have taken the first step, let us know how you get on, and all the very best. tonyrod

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
2 Marlow Road
Maidenhead
Berkshire
SL6 7DX
United Kingdom.       www.cwgc.org
(You can also visit us here - but please phone us first)

Phone: 01628 507200
(If you are calling from outside the United Kingdom,
phone +44 (0)1628 507200)
Fax: 01628 771208
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:28:49 PM by tonyrod »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:36:55 PM »
Hi Tel !

Did you by any chance take a photo of the grave stone? If so can we see it please?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Tel

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »
Many thanks for all your help, I have taken Bob Bonners advice and written to Major Turner.
No I didn't take a photograph of the headstone unfortunately.
I didn't know it was the War Graves Commission who erected the headstone, I thought it had been the Manchester Regiment.  My father died of a heart attack in Brentwood Essex two days before the amalgamation of the Manchester Regiment and the Queens Liverpool Regiment (goodness knows why two regiments from Lancashire had to have the ceremony in Essex) not during a conflict, that is why I am surprised the War Graves Commission were/are involved.

Regards

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »
 :-\  That's why I wondered if you took a photo, a Commonwealth War Grave would look like these http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/  It maybe that it was erected by the family with the assistance of The Regiment, either way I'm sure Major Turner will point you in the right direction.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
tel, has your father was still serving, the family would have had a choice if they wanted a private funeral and headstone or a military one, was he buried in a army barracks cemetery or a town cemetery from your comments it sounds like a town one,   my late pals father was serving in Germany and died in 1957  no conflict and buried in RHEINDAHLEN  with  a cwgc headstone, 

Tel

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »
My father had a military funeral with firing party and bearers though he was buried in a local cemetary.  I did have one of the 303 shell cases but it has gone missing over the past 52 years since the funeral.  Wendi the headstone is the same as the ones in your photo.  I have visited the British War Cemetaries in Normandy many times and know what the headstones are like.

Regards

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 05:40:29 PM »
hi tel, that's what i thought  he was buried in a local cemetery with a cwgc headstone   . the cwgc inspectors do go round local cemeteries, how often i don't know, so unless it gets reported we just don't know how long a headstone as been damaged, one thing you can relay on they will sort it out.
your father earned that much, let us know how you get on. all the very best tonyrod

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:53:41 PM »
Sorry Tel when you said military headstone, I was not sure you meant a CWG headstone, in that case I'm sure they will sort it out for you.

All the best

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
Hi Tel
The advice you get on here is first rate and all those contributing are totaly dedicated to helping you in any way they can.
Can we please have a little more information on your father, was he a regular, when did he join up, what was his service number, which cemetery is he buried in, it is possible that there is a photos available before the headstone was split, there is a CWG Photo Project site that may be able to help.
Do you have his Service Record, if not you can obtain it, your mother if still alive can get it free or you can for about £30.00  If you need it the information is available on the Forum which we can direct you to if you want it.
My father was 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips.
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Tel

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »
Hi rafboy,
I first made enquiries on this forum 2 years ago but had no response from anyone who knew my dad, see http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=923.0  thread.  My mother died some years ago and somewhere there is a copy of his service records for the Irish Guards and the Manchester Regiment but I can't find it.

This link http://www.veterans-uk.info/afm2/roll-of-honour.php?SerialNo=A1895 is his Roll of Honour on the Armed forces Memorial website.  Fortunately it gives me the grave section and the grave number which saves me searching at the Cemetary.

Tried using the post hyperlink facility but it would work so I apologise for inserting full URL's

Many thanks for the kind help and advice offered on this forum.

Regards
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:27:40 PM by Tel »

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 08:14:41 PM »
Thanks Terry, I remember your original post now.  My father had left the Regiment before yours joined it, he transfered to the RAPC after the 1st Bn came home from Germany then went to Malaya with them from 1951 to 54.  He left the Army shortly after returning to UK so would not have known your father.
It looks like your fathers headstone is not amongst the Phillips Park photos on the Forum at   http://www.flickr.com/photos/manchester-regiment/sets/72157601525385270/
Please let us know with a photo if possible when you have the headstone problem resolved.
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »
Hi Terry,
I have been scratching my grey cells for the past week or so trying to remember the name of your father, when I spotted your link today I went in for a look see and yes I knew Jimmy  vaguely, he hadn't been with the Bn very long and was if my memory serves me rightly re-enlisting with us down at Warley Barracks at a period which was very strange to us - pre-amalgamation. I myself was in the position that immediately following said parade  I was to be posted to Preston to finish off my service having been made redundant as a result of the amalgamation so I was not a very happy bunny in many senses. I cannot say that I knew him for these reasons, he was not in C Company of which I was at that time CQMS, people were coming and going every day and being in married quarters I did not frequent the Sgts Mess all that often.
However as Cliff Phillips said keep us posted on events, my apologies for holding back until I knew who we were talking about.
Take care, warmest regards,
George.

Tel

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
Hi George,
It is such a long time ago now but I have memories of my dad as an instructor at the 8th Ardwick next to Jewbury & Brown, we lived in an Army Married quarter on Belle Vue Street, now demolished and Norman Road between Platt Fields and Birchfields Parks (still there but not army quarters), both next to T.A. Barracks.  He then was posted to Ladysmith Barracks Ashton where I remember Christmas Parties as a 12 year old.  By that time we lived in the married quarters at Mellands Camp Gorton (wooden huts).

Kind Regards