Author Topic: William Hamilton 6th Manchester Regiment??  (Read 4483 times)

HamiltonHunt

William Hamilton 6th Manchester Regiment??
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
We have found a picture of my great grandfather and think we've come close to identifying him but am having a hard time with the cap/label badge. It seems close but not quite right. We have a medal card of the fellow we think is him but are in Canada so don't have access to records.

William Hamilton
Est Birth:1872
Est Death: 1937
2/6th Manchester Regiment, Corporal, Regiment No 250508
6th Manchester Regiment, Second Lieutenant (Comm 25-6-18)
Date: 1914-18
Cat W0372/8
Medals: Victory (off 131, pg 47E?, British (ditto)

We are trying to confirm his identity and determine other family members. His son, William Samuel Hamilton (my grandfather) served in WW1 or the Irish Constabulary (born 1897, Penang, Strait Settlements, died 1960, Calgary, Alberta, Canada). We think he had four siblings: Samuel, Pat, Mike and Mary who were probably also born in Penang.

Family origins: Counties Tyrone/Armagh, Ireland

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: William Hamilton 6th Manchester Regiment??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »
hi hamilton

and welcome

you're correct it's close, but it's not right. they are not manchester regiment badges. they are general service badges

that's not to say they aren't the same men but he's not wearing the regiments uniform in that photo

cheers
chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

HamiltonHunt

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:31:58 PM »
Do you have any suggestions on how I could confirm his identity? Is there any way I could get the information on his service record electronically?

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »
do you know whether he stayed in the army after 1922? if so his records will be still with the MOD and you can apply for them

possibly the pension records now available on ancestry, but i have no experience of them, i am pretty sure other forum members have though

i'll have a think! 8)

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

slob

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:16:39 PM »
There are 105 William Hamiltons in the pension records. Are the any more clues - other names, place of birth, where he was living, occupation, wife's name?

Dave

HamiltonHunt

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:20:26 AM »
My great-grandfather William Hamilton was Schoolmaster/Head Schoolmaster at Penang Free School from at least July 26 1897 when my grandfather (William Samuel Hamilton) was born in Penang, Strait Settlements, until the war. He likely returned to Penang right after but I'm not sure.

I found a brief blurb online:

"Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton stated that they lectured but since retired. After the war, he resumed his tenure as Principal of Penang Free School...."

I don't know his wife's name. I am trying to get that information from Penang/Singapore but that will likely take some time.

I believe the family origins were Tyrone/Armagh Counties in Ireland but don't know if he was born there.

Estimated birthdate of 1872 for William Hamilton, is based on the assumption that since my grandfather William Samuel was named after his father, he may have been the firstborn.

Estimated death for William Hamilton is 1937.

Here are my grandfather's details.
We believe he served as well in WW1 or The Irish Constabulary.

William Samuel Hamilton
Born: July 26, 1897
Place:  Penang, Straits Settlements
Died:  09 May 1960
Place:  Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wife: Beatrix Mary Sawyer
Marriage: 12 Sept 1922
Place: Newtownards, County Down, Ireland

Emigrated to Canada between 1922 and 1928.

slob

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:46:16 AM »
There are no births, that match those of the children, in the Overseas Indices.
There is no Hamilton that fits, in the Royal Irish Constabulary records, that go up to 1921.

Dave

HamiltonHunt

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:33:04 PM »
Thanks Dave

What exactly is the Overseas Indices, part of the military records? Would they shown up if he was a civilian when they were born? He wouldn't have been in the service when he went back to Penang, he would have been headmaster of Penang Free School.

And thanks for checking out the Royal Constabulary, I think he was likely in the British military as well. This is when you wish your family used unusual names....

I have been hunting high and low for another picture or medals but my grandparents lost their things in a fire in northern Ontario and those seem to have been lost.

Thanks
Jill

The Colonel

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 06:40:24 PM »
Jill, Overseas indices are an index for births, marriages and deaths for British subjects who may be born, married, or die overseas.

I have checked through the WWI pension records on ancestry.com, and I can only find one William S Hamilton listed. Service number 337260. He enlisted at the age of 19 on the 10th June 1915 at Sunderland into the 3/1st Northumbrian Brigade R.F.A. He transferred to the Durham R.G.A. He then was posted to France with the 14B(?) H.B. R.G.A. He fell sick in March 1917 and was sent to base, and subsequently posted to 131 H.B. RGA. He was again ill, and in September 1917 was sent to Lord Derby's War Hospital at Warrington. In November 1917 he was sent to Heavy Artillery Depot, Winchester. In February 1918 he was sent to France to 28 H.B. R.G.A. until September 1918, when again he was sent home sick.
Home address 3, Ambley Street. Sunderland. Next of kin Louisa Hamilton, who appears to be his mother.

The Colonel.

slob

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »
Clutching at straws, findmypast.com has passenger lists.
There are 4 W Hamiltons sailing to Penang between 1890 and 1897.
There is a charge to view the records but, if he is one of these, is wife might be with him.

Dave

HamiltonHunt

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:40:11 PM »
Thanks so much Dave

Here's crossing my fingers....

I went to search but can't find Penang in the destinations, should I be entering it as something else? I take it this is the category i should be searching:
Passenger Lists Leaving UK 1890-1960

Jill

slob

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
That's the one - destination is Malaysia.
I just noticed, when I did it again, that only one of the four is male.

Dave