Author Topic: John Yates (28593)  (Read 11563 times)

tisgrannie

Re: John Yates (28593)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 07:15:35 PM »
Wow how did you come by that photo harribob?
tisgrannie

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 07:19:15 PM »

you don't expect me to reveal all my secret sources do you tis?

(sharon sent it to me!!)
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »
Hi Sharon!

A truly lovely photo!  so many of the men are pictured in "formal pose" this card is far more relaxed and has a certain warmth for it !

Who is the lady?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

lodgeropes

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 07:56:16 AM »

Thanks for posting the pic Chris  :)  And thanks for the kind words Wendi.

The lady in the pic is John Yates wife Annie Yates (formerly Annie Allen nee Barber - her first husband Percy Allen details below)
Annie is my grandmother ( my mums mum).   I was born in Australia so never met my grandparents, but looking into the history of the family has made me feel incredibly close to them.  :)

Private PERCY ALLEN

1901, 2nd Bn., Manchester Regiment
who died age 20
on 10 July 1916
Husband of Annie Yates (formerly Allen), of 21, Peel St., Ashton-under-Lyne.
Remembered with honour
THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Percy and Annie were only married a short time ( couple of months) before he was killed.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »
so (getting this straight in my head) annie was married to two manchester regiment soldiers?

first percy, who died on the somme and then john

tisgrannie

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »
How sad is that! Isn't it amazing the human stories that have come out on here!
tisgrannie

The Colonel

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »
Yes Chris, Annie Barber was married to two Manchester Regiment soldiers.
I am wondering whether this is a "first" in our Manchester Regiment records?

Lovely photo Sharon, thanks for sharing it with us  ;)

The Colonel.

lodgeropes

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 07:09:13 AM »
Sorry for the delay in reply.  Yep The Colonel is correct :)

I sometimes wonder if Percy and John knew each other. Annie married Percy in 1916 and then married John Yates in 1919.  From what I can gather they all lived in the Ashton Under Lyne area around these times so I guess its possible.

The human stories about the lads are my favorite, tisgrannie, that and the photo section ;D

tisgrannie

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 09:08:18 AM »
I'm sure mack would know where they lived. He usually comes up with who's next door to who! he's a star *
regards
tisgrannie

lodgeropes

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »
Well I know John Yates parent lived at 62 Tatton St, AUL at least from 1916 - 1919 ( possibly before and after those dates)
Annie Yates ( nee Barber/Allen) lived at 13 Wood St AUL in 1919 and (at some stage) 21 Peel St, AUL. 
As for Percy I just dont know. 
I havent tracked down his family history yet  :-[

If I find out anymore I will definately let you all know  :)

Cheers
Sharon

tisgrannie

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 07:20:10 AM »
Looks like you have lots of info already. I  hope you enjoy your further searches. Do let us know.
best wishes
tisgrannie

lodgeropes

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 09:38:38 AM »
Just going back over all the info I have stored on this computer and found a reply from Ivor Lee regarding John Yates and the Labour corp:

According to the Medal Roll he was initially in the Manchester Regiment with a regimental number of 28593.

A Labour Corps number of 396890 indicates that he was transferred to the LC around May 1917.

I do have a problem as I have no idea when he was transferred to 16 Company.  His number suggests he was initially in either 117 or 783 company although I cannot be sure which one.

In order to find out more you would need to check his personal record. However only about 1 in 3 records survived the bombing of 1940. If it did you will find it at the National Archives, Kew in WO 363 or WO 364. The bad news is that these classes cannot be searched online.

Isnt a lot of info but Im hoping I can piece it all together eventually and find out more about Grandad  :)

Still no luck in finding James Angus ( who gave grandad the first aid book)   Had another look at the  books inscription  and below is the full version as it is written in the book:

First Aid to the Injured - The St. John Ambulance Association
by James Cantlie MA., MB., FRCS

Revised 1901 
Reference 58/1901   
 It can be "obtained at St. John's Gate, Clerkenwell, London" for 1s. or by post 1s,2d.   Nothing else to tell us where it comes from.

from
2nd Class machine gunner  James Angus 6796
9th Batt The Royal Highlanders.

(Drawing of cat)

Till hell freezes
Jamie & Jock"

Opposite page:

"1st class Mach. G John Yates 28693
Machine Gun Corps
Att  9th Batt The Royal Highlanders
15th March  1915 YPRES"

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:33 AM »
i can't understand why we can't find james angus ???

sharon, can you scan the pages and post them here, i am just thinking that a pair of fresh eyes may see something more

lodgeropes

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »
Will  contact my brother ( who has the book) and see if its possible.....I had another look at it over the weekend and it may not scan very well but if we can do it will email it to you as soon as I get it.   
I dunno why we cant find James either  ???  Have tried searches with all variations of the names and number but nothing comes up.

It worried me that the 9th Bn Royal Highlanders werent even at Ypres at that time as well.    Over at the Great War forum i did a search and found a reference to the Royal Scots 9th which was at Ypres around  that time.  Next to Royal Scots was Highlanders in brackets so do you think its possible Im looking for the wrong regiment?   probably reaching a bit  :) and I still couldnt find James Angus ( or Angus James) with the Royal Scots anyway!

Will see what I can do about a scan ;D

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 10:31:11 AM »
i've tried various including all the 6796's, i did wonder if his s/n was changed in 1917 to a 6 figure number, there is one J angus on the index cards like that but i'm clutching at straws