Author Topic: John Yates (28593)  (Read 9371 times)

lodgeropes

John Yates (28593)
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »
Hi all,

My grandfather, John Yates was in the Man Reg ( still no luck in narrowing down which batt).  I have recently come across a small first aid book which belonged to him and was given to him by : 2nd class Machine G. James Angus ( 6796) 9th Batt The Royal Highlanders.   The inscription reads to My pal, John Yates ( 28593 )1st Class machine g. Att 9th Batt The Royal Highlanders.
Underneath this is the date 15th March 1915 Ypres.   And a drawing of a cat? :)

Would any of that help me find out which Man Reg Batt he was with?

This forum ( especially Linda  :) )gave me a lot of info last year  regarding my Grandad so I would appreciate any other info.   My brother who remembers Grandad and has the first aid book is pretty sure he was gassed at Ypres and that Grandad had said he was also at the Somme, but when I dont know.    He told my father he was in/with the Black Watch, but my dad never believed him!   Looks like he might of been after all tho.

Any clues or info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Sharon

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
Re: John Yates (28593)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
Hi Sharon

And welcome  forum.

Do you have a copy of your G/F medal index card as this would help us find his Battalion.

lodgeropes

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:26:11 PM »

Hi,

I do have the medal card index but how do I get it to you

Cheers
Sharon

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:14:58 PM »
Can you post the codes & pages numbers cheers MS

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »
Hi Sharon and a Warm Welcome to the new Forum

You can post it as a image yourself, or if you feel more comfortable, email it to me and I'll post it for you.

My email is available under the cat if you hover your curser over the icons. 

Did you understand that last sentence ??? sometimes I frighten myself into a day job LOL

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:47:53 AM »
yates 28593

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

The Colonel

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »
Hi Sharon, I have checked the WWI service records and pension records available on ancestry.com. Sadly, at the moment records for your James Yates are not there. Ancestry.com are still adding WWI records to their site.... so keep your fingers crossed!  ;)

It's nice to see you back on the forum. Hope you got on ok with your family research  ;D

The Colonel.

lodgeropes

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 04:29:46 AM »
Hi Colonel :o)

Thanks for checking for me.   The family research took a bit of a back seat to real life family issues for awhile but getting back into the whole obsession again now  ;D

I checked Ancestry records for James and John ( his real first name) as well, but found nothing so your not alone there!

Is there any way of checking which Btns were attached to the Royal Highlanders?  Is that how it worked or was it more likely to be individuals atahced rather than Btn's??   Was also wondering if the location of Ypres would give a clue as to his Btn but it seems like they were all there in 1915!

And if he served at Ypres wouldnt he have the Star medal on his index card?  ( which I dont think he does but Im not sure)

Probably all stupid questions but if anyone can enlighten me on how it all worked I'd appreciate it.     And Im assuming that Machine G. is for machine gunner?  Would that be right?

Thanks all for your help :)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:31:03 AM »

the card posted is for a soldier that went abroad after 31-12-15, and if you have proof (ie the first aid book) that he was there in 1915, he would have been entitled to the 14-15 star

the service number is from a range that were issued relatively early war so i'm wondering if there is another card for his 14-15 star

chris

lodgeropes

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »
Thanks for that Chris.    When you say his number is one that was issued fairly early, how early would you say?   If there was another card for him would it be the same number?   I found his medal card through his Labour corp #396890 but Im assuming that he was in the Labour Corp after the Man Reg.   

The first aid book basically confirmed things grandad told my father and brother ie the black watch connection, gassed at Ypres etc so Im looking at it as proof  :)   
Just supposing he was entitled to the 14-15 Star but never received it...is there anything I  can do about it now?

Cheers
Sharon

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »
mack may well have a better idea but i'd say late 14 early 15

you won't be able to do anything about the medals now i'm afraid, do you know where the others went?

we really could do with a look at the war and victory medal rolls but they are labour corps rolls that we don't have, unless we could get it done as a favour ( from ivor lee, Roy??)

lodgeropes

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
Hi chris,

Not sure what happened to Grandads medals.  He died in the late 60's and our family had already moved to Australia.    Hopefully the medals went to family still over there but unfortunately I am not in contact with them  :(

Will keep searching for clues.

Cheers
Sharon

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
Ivor may tell us the unit in the LC put as for the medal roll?

The 9th Service Bn Black Watch did not land in France until 8th July 1915 & did not go near Ypres in 1915.

lodgeropes

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »
Oh crud! :(  The more info I seem to get, the less I seem to know!!!!!

Thanks for letting me know.   Now I have to try and figure out why the bloody book has that inscription if they werent even there!!!!   

Just wanted to clarify something about the medals on John (James) Yates index card - could they have been just gotten due to service with the Labour Corp and is it possible there is another medal card for his service with the Man Reg, or doesnt it work that way?   

I cant even find a medal card index for James Angus 6796, 9th Btn Royal Highlanders ( the guy who gave grandad the first aid book)

I suppose its possible that Grandad was a compulsive liar and the whole inscription was made up to impress people and that he never got further than Ashton Under Lyne for the whole war  ???   

Ok...back to the drawing board.

Thanks all for your help and input  :)

Cheers
Sharon

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 01:58:38 PM »
no, the fact that he entitles to the medals means that he went abroad in a theatre of war, and the labour corps was no picnic!!!

and here he is proudly wearing his Manchester Regiment badge on a rather crumpled cap