Author Topic: Francis William Baker  (Read 5202 times)

doreen

Francis William Baker
« on: October 25, 2007, 02:43:41 PM »
Hi, can anyone help? My grandad F.W.Baker was I think in the Manchesters during WW1 and lost a leg on the Somme but I can't find anything about him.He lived on Spring Street at Waterhead after the war.He married Sarah Tattersall in 1898 .

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Francis William Baker
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »
Hi Doreen and a Warm Welcome to The Forum  ;D

Private Francis W Baker 8006 is a possible  :-\ as he is not listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website as a casualty.

His medal index card can be downloaded from http://tinyurl.com/2me5xu however it by itself will not confirm that this man was your granddad.....

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 10:50:05 PM »
hi doreen and welcome

wendi has got a very good match there, that number looks like a territorial number which would (probably) put him in the 10th battalion

is there anything else you could tell us about him? a picture? a medal?

cheers

chris

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

doreen

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 05:13:08 PM »
Hi
Thanks for replying. I do have a picture but how would I put it on here?
I am so annoyed with myself,I have just paid and downloaded the medal card but it tells me nothing I haven't already seen.I thought it would have his address and his reason for getting 'SWB' medal etc but it just gives name and regiment.How would I get the other info.Would I have to write to Kew?
Thanks
 Doreen

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »
 ;D don't worry, there might be things there we can get from the card, there are references we should be able to look at

send the photos and card to me and i will post them here and lets see where we go from there

chris

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »
here are the photos and MIC

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 12:54:58 AM »
8006 Pte F.W.Baker, He enlisted 26th Sept 1914 in to the 13th Battalion. He was discharge on the 31st Aug 1917. His Silver War Badge number is 243880, cause of discharge Wounds.

His last unit was the 20th Battalion the Manchester Regt. before he was discharge from the Depot at A-Under -Line.

doreen

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 07:27:51 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for replying.How can I find out if this is my granddad? Can I find an address from the medal card info or anything?

Doreen

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:03:25 PM »
Doreen

the medal cards do not give addresses, the only 100% way of being sure is to see his service records and that would entail a visit ( or employing a researcher) to go to Kew to see if his records survived the blitz in WW2 ( and only 30% did)

BUT.... when you search the medal index cards for Francis Baker, you get 69 hits, of these only one is from the manchester regiment, we can see from the photo he was a manchester. he is also francis W Baker, another plus, he was also entitled to a SWB, we know Francis lost a leg. The odds are very high this your francis baker  ;D

the card tells us he was originally in the 13th battalion, he first went abroad on 7th oct 1915. he was entitled to the 14/15 strar, the victory and the british war medal as well as the silver war badge

cheers

chris