Author Topic: 17th battalion E Company Platoon 17  (Read 11536 times)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
17th battalion E Company Platoon 17
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »
photo and list
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

csxpab

Re: 17th battalion E Company Platoon 17
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
Hi,

He's not on the official Platoon 17 photo but my Great-Granddad, Walter Gibson 9499, is on the second supplementary photo of the 17th Battalion, seated in the front row, second from the left.

Kind regards,
Phil

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 05:59:37 AM »
thanks Phil
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Clanky

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »
First name initial for No. 9258 - E. Sheldon is incorrect. It should be A.L. (for Arthur Leonard Sheldon)

Offline BarkerC

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
It may well be possible to identify 9267 Pte Albert Pemberton and 9268 Pte Barker Crabtree by comparing those in this platoon photograph with their photographs that apparently appear on pages 98 and 99 of the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour (which unfortunately I am not able to access).  Both men were clearly posted to XIII Platoon (D Company) after the XVII Platoon photograph was taken as their names are on that platoon's roll with a note that they were not present when the (XIII) platoon photograph was taken but that they appear in the supplementary photographs on pages 98 and 99.  Should they be the only members of XVII Platoon also to appear in the supplementary photographs, individual identifications should be possible because of their 6-year age difference.  Barker Crabtree was born in 1891 and Albert Pemberton in 1897.

Is anyone able to access the supplementary photographs and either make an identification or post the relevant supplementary photographs so that I can give it a try.   

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 05:44:20 PM »
they are not in XIII platoons photo,they were transferred before it was taken.

mack ;D

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 06:23:45 PM »
Hi Barker,
Here's the supplementary photo of C & D Coy. 
Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline BarkerC

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 06:00:17 PM »
Tim,

Very many thanks for the post of the Supplementary Photograph.  Now for the interesting bit!  Before starting, I see that the XVII Platoon roll has 52 names of those said to be in the platoon photograph but that the posted XVII Platoon photograph shows 56 men.  It is entirely possible that the names of four men in the photograph were omitted from the platoon roll however, alternatively, the photograph of the 56 men may not be that of XVII Platoon.

Before embarking on an identification project using a potentially incorrect photograph, is any kind person with access to the Book of Honour able to confirm that its published photograph of XVII Platoon is as posted above (with 56 men).  Much appreciated.       

Offline sphinx

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »
I replied incorrectly before - misunderstood the question.  Removed it, sorry.

I can confirm the top photo by Harribobs is indeed the correct photo.

What happens in other photos (and maybe this one) is that the photos of some men are "cut and pasted" onto the original photo by the photographer at some point before printing.

These men can be distinguished by different shades, hazy lines, too big or too small.

There is a good project here, to check the platoon photos to see if the number on the roioll tallies with the photo and to also indicate how many men have been 1915 photoshopped into it!.

regards

Offline BarkerC

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
Many thanks for the confirmation.  The camera never lies!!  I shall post success (or failure) to make the identifications once I have had a chance to compare the two photographs (which may take some time).

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 08:23:49 PM »
Mark,
I've been trying to root out a Service Record, but it eludes me. Source data for Montauban wounding would be interesting. (STOP PRESS Found it)

In  my search I found Barker was the architect son of a Cotton Manufacturer from Todmorden.  He married Lilian Ann Pearson in Sept 1914 and must have enlisted in early 1915. He is the only man I've noted as being divorced and remarried Elizabeth Russel Moffat in Dec 1918. He left his Estate to her when he had been 'found dead' in 1938. They lived at Penwortham.  There is a report on Barker's last letter to Bessie in Lancashire Evening Post 20 Jun 1938

T
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:57:53 PM by Tim Bell »

Offline BarkerC

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
Tim,

Yes, Barker was a pretty unlucky chap in both war and peace but his life makes an unusually interesting back-story to his Victory Medal.  I am intrigued by his divorce in 1916 and will be looking at the divorce file when I next get to Kew in 20..?  I have recently been in touch with the great nephew of another XIII Platoon member that has resulted in his identification in the platoon photo.
Mark   

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »
Save a trip to Kew and have a look at the Press report about Barker's "strife" provided by Jo Breeze https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/998014
The 'Lives' site is starting to be interesting and often worth a look.
T