Author Topic: 17th battalion D Company Platoon 13  (Read 4501 times)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
17th battalion D Company Platoon 13
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
photo and list
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline BarkerC

Re: 17th battalion D Company Platoon 13
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:12:02 PM »
Based on where the two sergeants are sitting in relation to their platoon commander - it would be normal for the platoon sergeant to sit on the platoon commander's right hand side - and their respective ages - Sgt Frank Willoughby Moxon was discharged in 1917 at the age of 23 and Sgt George Bruckshaw died on 1 July 1916 at the age of 40 - it is possible to identify Sgt Moxon as being fourth from the left in the second row and Sgt Bruckshaw as sixth from the left (taking the second row to consist of eight men sitting plus two men kneeling slightly apart, one on each end). 

Offline BarkerC

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:43:53 PM »
I am pleased to be able to report a further identification: that of 9024 LCpl Reginald Lloyd Bryant by his nephew.  LCpl Bryant - this is the correct family name although shown as Lloyd-Bryant in all the military records I have found except Soldiers Died in the Great War - is sitting third from the right in the second row (taking the second row to include eight men sitting and two squatting slightly apart, one on each end).  He was later transferred to the Labour Corps and then the 23rd Bn Lancashire Fusiliers, with which unit he won the MM as a sergeant and was later killed in action on 27 September 1918 as an acting CSM.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:57:27 PM by BarkerC »

Offline Jamieguest

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »
The platoon commander was my father's cousin Geoffrey Potts. I have started a thread about him in the 1914-18 section.   It is fascinating to be able to see that he was a platoon commander at that point.  He later became Quartermaster for a year and then came back to the battalion shortly before he was killed 23-4-17 at Heninel.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:51 PM »
Quite grainy, but higher res. pic of 2/Lt Potts
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline Jamieguest

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »
Thanks for that Tim.   He looks remarkably like my dad which is not surprising.  His mother was my granddad's sister and his father was my grandma's brother.   (Don't look too confused.)   I'll have another good look at the  officers photo and might be able to make him out.  Somewhere among my late father's papers there is a good quality portrait of him in uniform.

Jamie