Author Topic: Search for my grandfather Samuel Bird  (Read 9421 times)

Bird

Re: Search for my grandfather Samuel Bird
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »
Hi George

Annie Elizabeth Burman you mention was my grandmother and I have her details. What are the numbers etc you quote though?

The Edwin Bird you mention could be my great grandfather, I just don't know. What I do know though is on my grandparents marriage certificate it gives Edwin Bird's occupation as Sawyer or Lawyer (can't read whether it is a "S" or "L"). I have searched all the Edwin and Samuel Bird's I could find, but there is no way of knowing whether they are the ones I'm looking for. I'm pinning my hopes on obtaining my grandfather's birth certificate and hope this will help research further.

Many thanks for you "two penn'orth" worth George, which is much appreciated.

Regards
Pete

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
Hi Pete,
That is the identifiation Number of the 1911 census on which the family of Annie Elizabeth can be found.
Will continue the search tomorrow.
George.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 08:10:12 AM »
in 1891 samuel was at his granmother susan birds address,she was a shopkeeper at 172 hamilton st,harpurhey,his father edwin was a sawyer
in 1901 edwin+joanna and 10yr old samuel were living at 41 pickering st,harpurhey
and in 1911 they were living at 11 middlewood grove,openshaw/gorton
the same samuel bird died in 1962 aged 71,and buried with his parents at gorton

the samuel who married annie in 1920 is over 4yrs younger than this man,BUT he may have been lying about his age,both to his wife+the registrar,this may be the reason why theres trouble finding the correct birth certificate.

there doesnt appear to be a marriage for annie to mr woolhouse,but they had a son togethor in 1935 at sleaford,his name was robin woolhouse

mack ;D

Bird

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
Hi all

Many thanks for all your replies and hopefully I should have Samuel Bird's birth certificate shortly.

Assuming this is the correct one, any suggestions how I go about tracing his brothers and sister(s) and then their children? The reason being, is that no one knows what happened to Samuel Bird and if it is that he died in 1962 as one of the earlier posts suggests, I hopefully might be able to trace someone who would possibly be able to fill in his life from 1920 to the day he died?

Any pointers would again be very much appreciated.

Regards
Pete

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »
Hi Bird !

It is of course possible that he did not marry.  Being buried with his parents is one indication.  Perhaps obtaining any record that Gorton have on the burial may give an indication ???

You could also look for his will.  This might also give an indication of his past life.

The 1911 Census shows only one brother.  To trace any further you really would need to hunt down his marriage and trace issue of that union.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha