Author Topic: Introduction and queries about Manchester men  (Read 11317 times)

Offline hesadevil

Re: Introduction and queries about Manchester men
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »

I've checked online for the 2/6 battalion war diaries and discovered that they are kept at Tameside Local Studies and Archives Centre

They're also at Kew (diaries were kept in (at least) triplicate)...

Dave

Dave, I'm having trouble reading these War Diary pages. Can you help me out with a transcription of 21 March entry.

Pat
PS Had trouble getting into the Forum today. Is there a status page that let's us know when the server is down?

Offline hesadevil

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 05:40:56 PM »
Hi again

Thanks to the help of this forum, I have tracked down some of James Alfred's descendants. His great grand-daughter, Jane sent me a photo of him in uniform.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 05:58:05 PM »
Hi hesadevil  ;D

I often say to people, never give up. I bet your thrilled!

It's wonderful to see him. I am so proud of this forum  :)

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline hesadevil

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
Hi hesadevil  ;D

I often say to people, never give up. I bet your thrilled!

It's wonderful to see him. I am so proud of this forum  :)

Wendi

I am thrilled. My husband gave me a replica of the MM for my birthday earlier this month. He framed it and has now suggested that we insert this photo into the frame with the medal.

I can see a resemblance between my father as a young man and his uncle, JA.  My grandma (JA's sister) is more like her mother (I've been sent lots of photos of JA's widow, who never re-married and raised four children on her own.

I never give up. I think I'm a natural historian, always searching for the primary sources. I'm hoping there will be more to come from the family. Perhaps some letters and a copy of JA's obituary.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 07:35:11 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing  :) keep in touch

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha