Author Topic: 20th battalion  (Read 15151 times)

Jim

20th battalion
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »
Hello everybody,
This is my first post on the Forum.
I have a particular interest in the 20th Battalion as my grandfather served with them. I am working on a database of 20th soldiers, from the Book of Honour and the Soldiers Died cd. Am I duplicating work which has already been done?
Regarding Gary's query, I have a copy of the War Diary upto 1 July 1916 and I have produced a daily itinerary and a map showing the route to the front at Fricourt where the 20th were from Jan 1916 to July 1916. I would be happy to share this with Gary and any other members.
Nice to be in contact with people having similar interests.

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
20th battalion
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
Hi Jim

Welcome to the site, it would be better to repost what you have done on its own posting.

Cheers MS

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: 20th battalion
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
hi jim

i have split this post out as MS suggested

we are certainly interested in the work you have done on the 20th battalion, we have tried to produce battalion histories for all the battalions but the 20th's is not very good, we haven't had the time to re-do it yet.

http://www.themanchesters.org/20th%20batt.htm

so if there is any way we could assist you and you thought this would be the best way to publish your work on the net  ;D ;D

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

gary

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »
Hi Jim
Welcome to the site
 Thanks Jim i would be very  grateful to receive any information you can share with me about the 20th Battalion .I am only just learning about my grandfathers military life if i ever asked him about WW1 he would change subject and not talk about it.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:11:11 PM »
Hello everybody,
This is my first post on the Forum.
I have a particular interest in the 20th Battalion as my grandfather served with them. I am working on a database of 20th soldiers, from the Book of Honour and the Soldiers Died cd. Am I duplicating work which has already been done?
Regarding Gary's query, I have a copy of the War Diary upto 1 July 1916 and I have produced a daily itinerary and a map showing the route to the front at Fricourt where the 20th were from Jan 1916 to July 1916. I would be happy to share this with Gary and any other members.
Nice to be in contact with people having similar interests.

hiya jim.
welcome to the forum,nobody has made a start on the 20th battalion,if you need anything,post it on here

mack ;D

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:16:31 AM »
hi jim, and welcome to the forum, my grandfather was in the 20th but did not join them till late 1916 or 17,
my family site with a little of his war service history,  http://tonyrod.webs.com/  .

Jim

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »
Hello Everybody
Thanks for the replies. As promised in my first post I attach a copy of the list I drew up of the daily movements of the 20th Battalion from the end of Dec 1915 to the End of June 1916. I have included the list of KIA from the War Diary and the names of soldiers died from the CWGC web site. I have a map marked up with the movements upto June 30th 1916, which I can e-mail to anybody interested.
Regards
Jim

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »
Jim

excellent

unfortunately i am away from home at the moment (and for the next two weeks) but i will be able to convert this into a web page and post it on the main site as soon as i am home

if you need any help, shout!! ;D

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Tony1/612742

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
That is very good. Well done. T

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:34:01 AM »
Nice work Jim !  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
12-1-16
pte 17865 tom,william curvis,101 exeter st,ardwick

2-2-16
L/cpl 17039 joseph carruthers,23 crown st,cockermouth

6-2-16
pte 26107 patrick kelly,23 iron st,newton heath
pte 17706 alfred morrow,16 little peter st,hulme

22-2-16
Lt john laithwaite,elmhurst,hall lane,hindley,wigan[killed by a rifle grenade]
pte 18356 herbert,bailey woods,51 bellew st,ardwick,killed by a shell,the reverend milner of the 2nd warwicks reported his grave location at maple redoubt

26-2-16
sgt 17340 simon dunn,29 worsley rd,patricroft,died of wounds in hospital at rouen

mack ;D

Offline pete th

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
William Edward Barber - Killed in action 1st July 1916
Private William Barber (Service no. 17287) served with the 20th (Service) Battalion (5th City), The Manchester Regiment, 22nd Brigade, 7th Division. The battalion was raised in Manchester on 8th November 1914 and had basic training at Morecambe, before moving to Grantham in April 1915 and then onto Lark Hill for further training. He served with 5 Platoon, ‘B’ Company.

He was employed at the CWS Soap Works and had been the secretary of Irlam Conservative Club. He was the only son of Mr and Mrs Edward Barber of 544 Liverpool Road, Irlam. His father was one of the first and oldest workmen of the Irlam Urban District Council until his retirement in 1916. William was a promoter of the Brackley Habitation Primrose League and had a large circle of friends. 

William enlisted at Manchester in 1914 and disembarked in France on 9th to marry his sweetheart, Florence Hampson of the Fleece Hotel, Leigh, on 7th June 1916. Florence was accompanied by Miss Butterworth of the Boathouse Hotel, Eccles and Mr H. Mills of Glebe Farm, Irlam. Florence was the niece of Mr Hampson of Peel Hill, Astley who was manager of Leigh Brewery and Managing Director of the November 1915. Whilst serving in France, he obtained special leave back to England in order Mather Lane Mills. William and Florence made their home at 536 Liverpool Road, Irlam.

Sadly only three weeks after the wedding, William was killed in action on Saturday, 1st July 1916, aged 28. A comrade, Corporal Andrew Royle (19245), who was also from the district, wrote to the family stating that William had been severely wounded in the attack, on Fricourt, and he was shot dead by a sniper as he made his way back to an Advanced Dressing Station.

In a letter to his widow, another comrade stated that they had entered into action at about 8.30am and William fell mortally wounded within the first half an hour of the battle: ‘He was greatly respected by his comrades who mourned his loss. He was always very cheerful and obliging and fell doing his duty like a true British soldier.’ He is buried at Dantzig Alley British Cemetery near Mametz, Somme, France.  Medal Entitlement: 15 Star Trio.

Serving with William Barber in the 20th Battalion were his friends, Sergeant Ernest Beswick (17295) and Privates James Coyle (17325), Hubert Wright (32438), John Taylor (13604), George Scott (17479), Arthur Oldham (17447), Alf Rogerson (17473), and William Furness (17351) and James Taylor (17503).

William Furness
Private William Furness (Service no. 17351) served with the 20th (Service) Battalion (5th City), The Manchester Regiment, 22nd Brigade, 7th Division.

Like his friend, William Barber, William was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, Saturday, 1st July 1916. He is buried in Dantzig Alley British Cemetery, Mametz. Medal Entitlement: 15 Star Trio.

Remembering

Pte Sidney Lee (36719), 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regt - dow 18.02.17
Sgt Charles Roberts (13668), 11th Bn, Manchester Regiment - kia 18.05.18
Bombardier John Hesford (70065), 147th Heavy Battery, RGA dow - 04.09.18
Pte Sidney Lee (4131324), 8th Bn, Cheshire Regiment -  kia 12.03.41

Jim

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »
Hi Mack
thanks for the biographical details which I have added to my database. One of them raises an anomally which I had seen before. Herbert Bailey Woods is given as 18356 in SD and on the MI. He is 18365 in the CWGC web site. Do you have a view as to which is most likely to be correct? Herbert was not listed in the BOH, at least in the 20th. Do you know if he was in any of the other battalions?
I noticed when starting my database that the BOH, not surprisingly, has a number of errors, where names are spelt wrongly and wrong numbers are given. In these cases on the database I have retained both versions, so that a search on either the correct data or the BOH version will locate the individual.
Thanks for your help.
Jim

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »
hiya jim.
ime pretty sure his correct number is 18356,i cant think why hes not in the BOH,i found a few that were missing as well,its probably an error when they typed up the lists.
i have details of other 20th men,do you want them

mack ;D

Jim

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
Hi Mack
I would be pleased to have any details you have 20th soldiers. My database runs to 1704 names so far and I only have biographical details of very few.
I still need to check on the fate of those soldiers from the 20th who were wounded, recovered and were transferred to another regiment, which happened to my grandfather. The only way I can think is to check the MICs for each one on my list, not an easy task. Can you suggest any alternative source of the data? Similarly there will be soldiers who transferred to the 20th from other regiments or battalions and who survived the war.
Thanks for your help.
Regards
Jim