Author Topic: Arthur Pugh  (Read 6708 times)

Big Steve

Arthur Pugh
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:52:33 PM »
Hi everyone.I wonder if anyone can help my grandfather who died many years ago was in the Mnchesters as a regular before WW1.

We believe he was born in Ireland and moved to Arwick but we are not sure whn or where he and maybe one of his brotehrs enlisted. Ireland or Manchester.
My sistyer and i have a photograph he sent to his sisters in WW1 but unfortunately the address details?Honeybridge park is not legibel and the card i cut in two.He is wearing the uniform with the fleur de lys whcih I underatnd signifies it was up to 1920?

Unfortunately, all docuements and photos were destroyed many yeras ago and there are no relatives alive left to ask and this photo is the only thing left now.
Has nayone got any ideas please?
Kind Regards
Steve

The Colonel

Re: Arthur Pugh
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 02:24:34 PM »
Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum.

The only Arthur Pugh born in Ireland I can find listed on the 1901 census is this little chap..
RG13 Piece 4217 Folio 103 Page 29.
All Saints, Leeds, (South East Leeds).
3, Ascot St.

William Pugh Head married 42 R.I. Constabulary (Police) born Ireland
Maria Pugh Wife 35 Born Ireland
ARTHUR PUGH Son 13 Scholar born Ireland
Kathleen Pugh Daughter 8 born Leeds
Martha Pugh Daughter 4 born Leeds
Francis Pugh Son  3 born Leeds.

Is this your Arthur?

The Colonel.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 02:48:54 PM »
i think this is your g/father.
pte 9710 arthur pugh
in 1917 he was serving with the 13th batt.
his other army number was 252693[6th batt]
lived at 139 mill st,ardwick

his brother lived at the same address.
pte 26041 francis,joseph pugh.
in 1917 he was stationed at cleethorpes camp

arthur went on to serve in the 14th batt,tank corps.

mack

Big Steve

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:18:20 PM »
Mack
You are a star sir!.You know due a family break-up it has taken 50 years to obtain anywhere near this information.My sister and I are so pleased.

Is there anywhere where we can find out where they were born from the Army records please?or next of kin?
Cheers
Big Steve - Tall not big!!!and :>  ;D

Big Steve

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:27:48 PM »
To the Colonel
Thank you for obtaining that information , I am not sure if they family you mention are my grandfathers as Leeds was never mentioend but 3 of the names Artghur,Francis and Martha are correct so it is one wotsit of a coincidnece.

Do we knwo how long tehy lived there and is tehre any link tyto the Pughs who Mack id'd and are definitely my Grandfather and Great Uncle from Ardwick?
Thanks guys

Steve

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 06:51:52 PM »
Mack
You are a star sir!.You know due a family break-up it has taken 50 years to obtain anywhere near this information.My sister and I are so pleased.

Is there anywhere where we can find out where they were born from the Army records please?or next of kin?
Cheers
Big Steve - Tall not big!!!and :>  ;D
your welcome steve,you made it easy for me cos you knew the area they lived in.
if their service records survived the blitz,then you will find them at the N/A,give roy(monsstar)a shout,he does research at kew,and hes very reasonable
mack

The Colonel

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 07:01:58 PM »
Hello Steve,
I think it is too much of a coincidence that the names listed on the 1901 census also match those of your grandfathers family. Mack as also found Francis Pugh, brother of your grandfather, living at the same address as Arthur Pugh in Ardwick.

Their father was a policeman in the Royal Irish Constabulary. He would have been posted to different towns (especially if he had been given promotion) where he would have served the local community, therefore, this might explain why the family are in Yorkshire in 1901, and at a later date in Ardwick.

I could only find one William Pugh in the 1816-1921 Royal Irish Constabulary Enlistments.
WILLIAM PUGH Enlisted in 1875 aged 19. Married. Born Mayo, Ireland.

Do you know your grandma's name? If you know her name, you could apply for a copy of your grandparents marriage certificate, that would confirm to you who Arthur's father was. Although, having said that, I am 99.9% sure we have the correct family already  :)

The Colonel.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 07:31:01 PM »
to support the colonels theory.
neither of them appear in the leeds absent voters registers,which means,they were either killed in the war,or they no longer lived in leeds.
mack

Big Steve

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:47:09 AM »
Thanks Mack and The Colonel

You guys are great. I am impressed with the speed of response. I did trace this Leeds family but discounted it partilaly in spiet fo all the links.

We did not know of any Leeds or Mayo connection but like you say William and family would have moved around a lot I guess especially at that time.Our only informastion from a dead aunt and our Mum who was not too well was Waterford or Limerick.

We do not know grandmas name or any other family members but know Arthur was Roman Catholic and and I guess if his father was too , a catholic in the RI Constabulary would not have been v popular at that time in Ireland ?

The Colonel

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 07:08:31 PM »
Steve, this might explain things clearer, and will help you understand why your Great grandfather William Pugh came to be in England.

The Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) was an armed paramilitary force controlled centrally from Dublin Castle and covered the entire country. Some RIC men were stationed in mainland Britain to keep an eye on Irish nationalists here. In 1900, there were 6 in Liverpool, 4 in Glasgow, 2 in London & Holyhead, and one in Manchester, Greenock and Newcastle.... it looks like there was one also in Leeds in 1900, namely, your great grandfather, William Pugh! The RIC records are held at Kew London, but I do believe that they have been filmed, and that you can order the films for viewing from your local latter day saints centre.

I hope this helps.

The Colonel.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:13:14 PM by The Colonel »